Teenager showers draining the hot water tank

I see what you mean. You have to pity such people. A teenager will empty that in one shower and it will take 45 min to 1 hour to re-heat. A waste of time. Instant water heating is the only way.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reducing demand is a parental thing. What is abundantly clear is that his water system cannot cope with the needs of his family. The solution I gave is the most cost effective and will deliver. It is quite cheap too and will be cheaper to run using a condensing boiler. He could have a summer switch that switches in a cylinder stat near the top of the cylinder to only give half a cylinder of DHW. Again cheap to do. £for well under £200 he will transform his system and save gas in running costs too. A win, win, all around.

You are as usual confused. I doubt you understand what I am on about.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off as you are an idiotic plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If the bath is 1/3 full you can still climb as it is filling. I don't see the problem. Of course a 40Kw combi will give much superior performance.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It can obviously cope with the needs of the family. It can't cope with the wants of some of it. Wants and needs are not the same thing.

That could well be true for most people. I would not take it as a compliment though.

Reply to
John Rumm

It can't cope. He has told us. The cheap solution I gave is a combined combi/stored water system. He will "never" run out of DHW. Irrespective of how his family used hot water it will provide the DHW. Got it? I doubt it.

Boasting about being thick, eh.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's a complaint most have - unless they're dribble.

I can see that - but suggesting you rip out a perfectly satisfactory storage system - as dribble always wants - is just nonsense.

Combis do have a place. But are frequently recommended by 'experts' because they are easy to install and make them more profit. A storage system being low pressure requires careful well thought out pipework.

You would round here - the mains pressure is poor. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When did cost ever matter to dribble - when it's other's money he's trying to spend? Just as well he lies about being a heating engineer - he'd soon be found out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your 'solution' (even if viable) doesn't solve the cost problem. I'd go with the timer and the mixer; that does.

Reply to
Bob Eager

-------

Andrew is "An unvented cylinder" what we here in North America call "An electrically heated hot water tank"?

If so an idea?

Here a typical 'hot water tank', a) for 3 bedroom home, equipped with one (or 1.5 bathrooms), a largish top load washing machine and dishwasher etc. is about 33 Imperial gallons (roughly 140 litres). Although some homes, b) Those with a jacuzzi type bath tub, may have a

60 gallon version.

Each type has a cold water inlet, hot water outlet, pressure relief or 'blow off' valve with open pipe to some sort of drain. Each version has two 230 volt heating elements (top and bottom) each with it's own thermostat; wired in a 'flip-flop' manner. There is usually some sort of sacrificial (and supposedly replaceable) anode to try and cope with (depending on local water condition) high mineral content and corrosion.

First the upper element heats the top portion of the tank. As water is used new cold water enters from the top but is routed downwards. When top of tank reaches the preset temperature its thermostat flips-over and the lower element then heats rest of tank. (It is possible by moving one wire to have both elements operate simultaneously, but wiring and circuit breaker etc. must be capable of; a) 2 x 3000 =3D 6000 watts or, b) 2 x 4500 =3D 9000 watts.

Idea. If arranged as above; provide a (hidden) switch to disable the lower heating element. The available hot water with switch 'off' will be, approx. the upper half of the tank. Say 60 to 70 litres? Enough for perhaps five to six minutes of showering? When needed (parental showering) operate hidden switch to heat all the water in the tank.

Visiting a relative in the UK some years ago I was shown an electric hot water tank very similar to what we use here (after all the voltage available is the same!) and much described.

PS. Before anyone starts ranting about the loss of heat from these hot water tank heaters please note that the 'wasted heat' helps heat to house; and we use electric heat (hydro generated) anyway!

Reply to
terry

My shower can half fill the bath in about 10 minutes, and the water is a constant temperature at whatever you set it to via the mixer tap, from warm to scalding - even at scalding the power is three times that you could hope for from an electric shower.

Reply to
Phil L

In article , Doctor Drivel scribeth thus

Aren't these young girlies into saving the planet anymore?, this might get them to change their ways knowing of the amount of Gas there're burning;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

You are right. Most here are DIYers and don't know what is on the market. Cylinders have changed dramatically in the past 8 years or so. They buy cheapo small coil scrap and then judge all cylinders by that.

(It's amazing how much faster the water heats with my new cylinder, and the same old boiler)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Oh indeed. My sister had such in the basement of her house in germany. It was the size of a small shed.

Now leaving aside low mains pressure, you can get high rates out of a BIG combi, or small system boiler and a storage tank.

The relative sizes and costs are up to you to decide.

But a combi needs to be somewhere where the gas/oil is, and does need some access, whereas a hot tank can be crammed in almost anywhere.

Combis are ideal for small urban single or at most two person flats, where space is at a premium, and capital costs are small.

Once you get up to a family though, you either need storage or a BIG combi.

Well I couldn't find an oil combi that would do 80KW, which is what I need for what I call decent hot water. So I fitted a 12Kw system boiler and a 250l tank. Been happy ever since.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can fill my bath in about 3 minutes completely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dad can take his own shower head in and fit it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Simple. Tell them you have fitted three hidden webcams in the shower room. Inform them that 10 minutes after the shower goes on the webcam is connected to the world.

Reply to
Peter Parry

This man is clearly a lunatic. 16 litres./min is wall mounted and about

35-37 kW.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What cylinders have changed in 8 years. Prey tell oh DIY man.

Being faster than the scrap you had before doesn't mean it is good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel