Teenager showers draining the hot water tank

Entirely automate the process like a washing machine

  1. Start showering in a mixture of water and a measured amount (great saving here) of suitable detergent. e.g. Pantene
  2. Recycle round the soapy water before the drain for a few minutes
  3. Sound buzzer and wash down with clean water
  4. Squirt out measured amount of conditioner
  5. Cut all water for time for human to agitate and leave conditioner to work
  6. Wash down with clean hot water
  7. Sound buzzer then squirt out powerful shower cleaner detergent
  8. Wash down with cold water
  9. Squirt out some strong lemony fragrance

Could engineer in some heat recovery from drained water.

Also if human remains standing in the shower at step 7, then they will eventually learn not to....

Reply to
Adrian C

Standard reply from you - as it has been since you were Adam.

Indeed not. And you're lumbered with high servicing/repair bills for evermore - as well as the basic shortcomings of combis.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would you feed them gruel as well?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I am not a Drivelling evangelist but I owned a house with a combi - the shower would go hotter than it was possible to stand under and was excellent in terms of power. Running the hot tap in the kitchen would have been a problem and that is a downside but, for endless *hot* water, you can't beat a combi (by definition). The OP's problem was not that he wanted to wash dishes while they were showering but didn't want the hot water to run out.

A combi solves this - you don't make the anti-combi case (and there is one) any stronger by half truths and misleading!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

You should be as it it is better for your soul.

I know of none.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off as you are a complete and utter idiotic plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Pray tell me of one which will give a flow rate of 20 l/min at 60C all year round as my storage system will?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Makes no difference - you were prattling on about them even then. So at least you're consistently wrong - even if you feel the need to change your identity several times...

*******************************

From: Adam Subject: Re: Combi or Conventional boiler? Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 12:05 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

Dave,

There are high flow combis. Some meet the 16 litres/min that British Standard lay down for bath taps and fill the bath just as fast as any other system. Combis can give high flow!!!!!! People on here talk as it they can't and never will.

If occasional high repair costs cancel out the cheap running costs so what's the problem? You still have power shower type of showers and lot of valuable space liberated. For every person that has had a troublesome combi there are far more that have had no problems at all year after year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know someone who was having trouble with teenagers and phone usage (this was before everyone had a mobile). He installed a payphone and set it to make a small profit. Seemed to work wonders.

Reply to
John Rumm

You could leave the original stat in place and just add another. Make them switch selectable and you can switch out of limited capacity mode when you want.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Lobster" wrote

snip....

It will affect your enjoyment as well, but do you have one of these aerating shower heads fitted? I believe they are designed to reduce water usage. To avoid personal inconvenience, visit the gym more frequently and get your showers there!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

You don't mean what you wrote. Is your storage system really capable of providing 20/lmin @ 60C all day every day non stop? Sounds more like a rather powerful combi if it can... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As other have said, "all things will pass" so it would be daft to rip out a perfectly good conventional system to deal with this problem. If they're not amenable to reason then I think Andrew's suggestion of moving the tank stat *up* the cyclinder to reduce its effective size is the most cost effective & sensible. Fitting a swich selectable second stat would be icing on the cake.

Getting in the shower first would also be a smart move. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Of course not. But it means it fills a bath quickly.

But that's the whole point. Even so called high flow combis can't match in practice a well designed storage system. And what most people have in their homes gets nowhere near.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which is the one complaint I've got with the combi we've got. In practice, it's a very minor complaint. You turn the bath hot tap on, do something else for a bit whilst it fills, then kick some cold in to get the temperature right. Since between us, we probably one bath a month at most, it's not the end of the world at all.

It's definitely not a high-capacity combi - a quick google suggests a nominal 9 litres/min at average 38deg rise, according to the specs, but it's only a small house, with one bathroom and one shower room.

What's it mean in practice, though?

A shower that'll damn near take your skin off for as long as you want it. Certainly no temperature, volume or pressure complaints.

Whilst somebody's in the shower, there's more than enough in reserve to be using a sink hot tap. If the washing machine's on whilst you're in the shower, you don't notice any temperature or pressure drop, either.

It Just Works.

Reply to
Adrian

Why not add the timer or volume limiter as someone suggested, but keep it 'free' to users?

You wont be impacting on other users as they wont want to be there longer than five minutes, will they?

The constant hot water solution would be expensive in fuel.

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

But fair, and a damn sight simpler than all the exotic plumbings/ timer/ etc ideas that are being suggested. :-)

#Paul

Reply to
kinslerp

As is often the case, you seem to be solving a different problem from the one the OP would like to solve. I get the impression he does not want to increase the hot water delivery capacity, but would much rather reduce the demand.

It all well and good upping the capability to deliver a never ending shower, however the chances are you just increase the time the kids spend in there are a result, and increase the energy costs associated.

Reply to
John Rumm

A subtle tweak would be to have the capability to switch the hot supply from direct from the cylinder, to one derived from a blending valve on a suitable stimulus (flow switch triggered timer etc with parental override). That way you could simulate the "about to run out of hot water" feeling when required, without it being as obvious as shutting it off completely. You could then allow say 15 mins of shower followed by ongoing shower at 25 degrees - tolerable enough to get the soap off if required, but not pleasant enough to stay there long by choice. Complaints could be deflected with "the cylinder must be scaling up - I might get it fixed if it gets any worse, but I don't seem to have any problem personally" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You do not rip it out if a plate heat X and bronze pump is used. Look at the link I gave to for your understanding.

That will NOT solve the problem,. As I have already told you, he will need to move the coil inside the cylinder up too, as it heats bottom up. It would work using a plate heat X and a bronze pump though, because it heats top down. A coil heats bottom up. Get it?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel