Tarmac repair

I?ve just built a ramp for my mother?s wheelchair which is looking pretty spiffy IMO but the pavement it rests on is uneven due to a poorly filled trench left over after water mains work.

It?s a communal entrance for 5 flats so anything I use shouldn?t be sticky and nasty for any length of time and ideally should be reversible as the ramp is a temporary structure.

It?s not a major problem but if there was a quick drying product that would look okay I might consider doing a bit of filling in.

Any suggestions?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Tarmac? You should be able to buy it by the bag or bucket. Wickes usually have some.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yrs, but a shallow top-up won't last long ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is a good chance that any thin layer will just peel. To fix the old stuff needs to be dug out to give sufficient depth to the repair.

What about covering the whole path with the same material as used for the ramp? Perhaps covering with diamond pattern steel BUT if not your property you will probably need personal liability insurance for any work you carry out in case someone injures themselves on your repair (such as slipping on a steel panel in the rain) etc.

Reply to
alan_m

I suspect the correct answer is to get Scottish Water back to do the restoration properly. They dug it up to replace a lead main (some years ago admittedly).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Do they own the pipe within the property boundary?

Reply to
alan_m

I can't see the point.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes, put some trousers on.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Its possible that the area within the property boundary is the landlord's (joint owners?) responsibility so this would need to be checked out.

Also, did/do you have the owners permission to create the ramp? are they satisfied with the work? Does it meet building regs? In the event of any defect or fall on the ramp who is responsible for it? If its you that could be a massive liability so try and get the landlord/owners' committee or whomever to adopt it and ensure it is under their liability insurance.

What is fine for an individual isn't always the case for communal entrances.

Reply to
Bev

However remember that its due to slump and the normal way to do it is do a temp fill and then come back and do it properly when its slumped, and the contractor may well have it outwear to do list. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Is this not within the curtilage of the building? Scottish Water may argue they are not responsible.

Reply to
Scott

Still waiting here for Telewest to properly repair the pavements they dug up when laying cables 20 years ago.

I suspect very few contractors come back to sort out slumped repairs unless the slump depth is excessive.

Reply to
alan_m

I suspect you?re right. They probably wouldn?t consider sour bit as bad enough.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have lovely legs. The world needs to see more of them.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Sour? Fecking autocorrect. ?Our?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Last summer, Openreach ran fibre across the bottom of my drive. The men doing the work said they'd be back to level it, after the initial fill settled. They did what they said they'd do.

Reply to
S Viemeister