Taps "hammering" or groaning

I've got a couple of taps that for want of a better word "hammer" when opened a particular amount. In one case - a mixer tap - this causes the whole tap to vibrate alarmingly and can be heard throughout the house.

Another one when opened a small amount makes a loud clear tone which seems to resonate through all the pipes in the house.

I'm curious - is this a fault of the taps, or is it something more complex?

Some of them at least I'm intending to replace soon anyway.

Reply to
John Carlyle-Clarke

Happened to me, replaced the washer inside the tap and all was fine.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

Try dismantling the mechanism and using some suitable grease on the mechanism (assuming it isn't in contact with the water).

John

Reply to
John