Tank Fill Line

My oil heating service, with whom I have a maintenance agreement, told me they had to remove the dresser coupling between the tank fill line and the tank in my basement to replace it with a "black" union and charge me $250.00 for that job. This dresser coupling was installed with the tank about 10 years ago and looks perfect with no sign of leakage. They say that they cannot make further fuel deliveries until that coupling is replaced. Can you confirm this necessary? I am in NY state.

Reply to
Dirk

Would that be a "state" of stress or an indication you're not in the UK?

I don't think you'll get much assistance here for your problem.

Reply to
Fredxx

Haven't a clue - this is a UK NG! Ask someone nearer to home.

Reply to
Roger Mills

This is an insurance problem, not a government regs problem.

The fuel oil company has insurance. They have rules as to what will void a policy claim.

Your homeowner insurance policy also has rules. Both insurers could "walk away" in a leak incident. Leaks cost $100K to $200K to clean up. The insurance behaves like scalded-cats when you phone up about that. They can't run fast enough.

Try the alt.home.repair USENET group for an opinion.

In some countries, big tanks are all the rage. In Germany, the fuel oil tank holds enough oil for the entire heating season. New Yorkers like their 600 gallon buried fiber glass tanks. Up in Canada, we're relative wimps, and

200 gallons of the stuff in a basement steel tank, is enough liability for us. Which might require three or four fills a season. A leak in a German system is the kind I'd be fearful of. Huge huge tank.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Try a group in the US. Brian