Plastic heating oil tank ruptured 2 days after fill up and very hot weather.

A few weeks ago we had a scheduled heating oil delivery to fill our tank, 2 days later I could smell fuel and saw dripping oil. The oil delivery company came very quickly and arranged another company to pump the fuel out to a holding tank. I think the tank was probably about 10 years old but looks in very good condition. The rupture must have been caused by expansion (2 small splits can be seen that are representative of inner expansion). We cannot afford a replacement tank at the moment (the company have quoted £1700 + VAT) and now the delivery companies insurers are asking me to accept responsibility for the leak. I have a feeling they are going to ask me to pay for the cost of pumping out the fuel etc., etc. Even if I found the paperwork for the tank and it was still under warranty it would be of no use as the manufacturer has gone out of business. I hear of some people saying that their tank has lasted 40 years + without a problem. Just wondering if I should go back to a steel tank?

Reply to
Roger Owen

I was just thinking that, you might get at least half the cost that way, but which sort of tank is a hard one. Maybe there is a reason why the manufacturer is now out of business. I've heard a lot of stories about oil storage tanks leaking recently. I'm not sure its the heat though, Often its the strain internally due to the structure its on making it twist and flex and cold and hot weather cycling over years. I'd not go oil even if you paid me. Still in some locations there is probably no choice. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Our choice is oil, electric, or a couple of cubic metres of liquefied gas.

That last really bothers me. And next door have buried one just outside our kitchen window...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Considering the number that there are around, there seem to be very few serious accidents.

Although LPG is, as you say, dangerous stuff.

newshound