> What was Tony Bla..."/>

Tallow

wrote:

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk /

Obviously sheltered upbringing. Buckfast Tonic Wine a wine produced at Buckfast Abbey in Buckfastleigh, Devon. Alcohol 15% Vol, need one say more?
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Definitely.
Now I see..... :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"Andy Hall" wrote | Andy Dingley wrote: | >Then wash it down with a bottle of Buckie.... | OK, I'll bite. | What's Buckie?
Buckfast Tonic Wine, m'lud.
The recipe for the Tonic wine is attributed to the original French monks who settled at the Abbey in the 1880's. Base wines from Spain, known as mistellas, were imported and to these were added the tonic ingredients according to the old recipe. http://www.buckfast.org.uk/TONIC.HTM
Buckfast Valley is a synonym for Lower Clyde valley, Lanarkshire http://www.glesga.ndo.co.uk/glesgaglossary.htm
Lazy Guide to Net Culture: Inter-neds: Evil twisted thugs are using the internet to brag about their violent sprees. And the police are POWERLESS to stop them. For the teenage tearaways of Glasgow's notorious street gangs have used hi-tech trickery to hide their identities. They BOAST about their drug-fuelled violence. Show SICK pictures of their battlegrounds. And openly FLAUNT weapons, bottles of Buckfast and faces full of plukes. Tracked down by this reporter, one young thug confessed: "No, I'm sorry. I think you must have confused me with someone else. Can I interest you in a copy of the Watchtower?" Sobbed the guilty hooligan: "Mmm, that website looks like a wind-up to me." A top Tory politician has called for them all to be birched, then hanged, then birched some more. Then hanged, birched, birched, locked up and birched some more. A spokesman for the SSP said that these misunderstood practitioners of working class culture should be celebrated. ... Finally, with very few exceptions, the pictures on the sites feature one of three key elements: the digitus impudicus, Buckfast and the Old Firm. ... What is about cameras that every time one is produced it makes these individuals extend their middle fingers and wave bottles of Buckfast in the air http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id 84252003
They appear to spend their time at these hallowed locations smoking spliffs, drinking large quantities of bucky, pulling silly poses robbed from Gangsta Rap album covers, drawing little " Menchies " on walls and indulging in a spot of violence against neighbouring gangs. ... Upon entering the site, the viewer is greeted by a suprisingly sophisticated but rather irritating flash animation. This bunch of Neds seem to like making decorative circles of buckfast bottles dubbed 'BUCKFAST HENGE' and then posing in them. Others are pictured with various weapons including a baseball bat and a samuari sword. ... This bunch of lads are rather lovable, they have even taken the time to compose an ode to Buckfast, they do however claim to be the 'hardest' in Fife so be warned!. You are my Tonic my Tonic Wine, You make me happy of Friday nights and Saturdays. We love to drink the Tonic wine ,so please don't take ma Bucky away. http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/reviews/reviews.html
MD 20/20! This is common neddish underage friday night juice. This drink comes right up there with buckfast in the ned stakes. It's likely that this young ned was "pure buckled" and trying to "fire in" to the three nedettes behind him. Did he get lucky? E-mail me, young ned, and I will let people know. This is a good example of what a "wee cheeky ned" should look like. ... The ned in the big berghaus jaiket on the right is showing signs of being a non ned, as he has removed the label from the groups bottle of Buckfast, perhaps showing some inner embarrassment of his ned status. Buckfast is designed to damage the neds brains early enough to get them hooked into the ned sector of society for the rest of their childhood and probably a bit of their adulthood, and in extreme cases, all of their adulthood. It has been brewed by Devon Monks for many years now using the finest grapes du violence. http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/gallery/gallery.html
Perhaps you should also steer clear of Burberry brand clothing, especially in Leicester. http://politics.guardian.co.uk/backbench/story/0,14158,1287935,00.html
Owain
wrote

....... excuse me ....

Sorry, it was meant to be a one of them ------> :)
--
Tony Williams.

wrote

:-)

Not to my taste buds..... Anyway I'm veggie.

One of the things I won't miss when I move back down south........ :-)
--
Chris French, Leeds

Use yer own chip pan
I used to have one which had beautiful fat in it. I put the fat from frying everything from bacon to steaks in it, Beautiful tasty chips I got from it.
It wasn't geographic location which caused the problem, it was marital status
--
geoff

mmm....Chips done the old-fashioned way, in beef fat.
Lovely grub, pure cholesterol. Oh my aching arteries.
--
Tony Williams.

You can't get that for human consumtion in the UK anymore.

Get WHAT for human consumption? Beef fat? Oh yes you can.
Mary

I'd heard that beef dripping was another casualty of BSE.
So..
Is your friend replacing the valley between two roofs of a church or something? He'd be as well to lay new lead if so. Old lead stretches with heat but does not return like other metals, it is too near the liquid stage so that it flows out and stays out.

It was. At least for export - I'm not sure about 'local' consumption. But no longer.

He's not a friend ...

As I said elsewhere - I thought - it's a very large lead tray/dish/trough with shallow sides. It has quite a large crack for a few inches across the middle.

I know. But I'm not sure that he does.
I don't think it has stretched, I think it's cracked though age. I suspect it needs patching - and I think that's what he intends doing.
But that's all irrelevant, I only asked if anyone still used and if you could still get plumbers' tallow ... :-)
Mary

Actually you're right. They don't use lard, they use beef dripping, I've bought it in large quantities from the fish and chip suppliers. But after seeing the other things they sell I wouldn't eat f&c from a shop ever again ...
And it doesn't smell revolting - or shouldn't. If it does the fat has gone rancid. That's the myth about tallow candles, that they stink and smoke. They don't if they're made properly.
Mary

A matter of opinion.....

Ok, lets say it has a distinctive aroma :-) Which I find pretty horrible.
--
Chris French, Leeds

writes

I've just remembered that you're a veggie, so you're forgiven :-)
But most people think that tallow candles smell revolting whereas they only smell of roasting meat.
Mary

I don't mind the smell of roasting meat, I don't like he Yorkshire chippy smell though
--
Chris French, Leeds

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:34:42 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

From http://www.northwales.org.uk/g21/letters.htm
"It is possible to buy tallow in paper wrapped lumps from suppliers of materials for making traditional paints, for example :- L. Cornelissen, 105 Great Russel Street, London, WC1B 3R. 071 636 1045. (finest pigments and art materials, booklet on making your own paints). Craig and Rose, 172 Leith Walk, Edinburgh, EH6 5EB 0131554 1131 (lead and oil based distemper) Cy-Pres, Northants (limewash, soft distemper)01536 373431 Farrow and Ball, Uddens Estate, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 7NL 01202 876141 Robert Butcher, Potmolen Paints, 27 Woodstock Ind. Estate, Warminster, Wilts. BA12 9DX. 0985 213960. (trad. paints). Or you should get it from suppliers to the soap making industry. However, it is everso much cheaper to make it for yourself.
[snip]
To make your own tallow, get some suet fat from the butcher. This is the heavy thick white fat from inside the back bone of a bovine carcass. It should be free. You then cut it up a bit to break down the membranes, and melt it slowly in a large saucepan. A clear fat will emerge, which can be strained to remove the fibres. You can refine the fat, by adding a little water, and rendering it. Simply heat for a while, then allow to cool. The mixture will separate into three layers. The best tallow on the top, the stock in the middle, and the solids at the bottom. Try it! - but don't blame me for the smell......."
Hope this helps
sPoNiX

I buy paint from F&B but I've never seen them offering tallow. One of the colours in their range is 'tallow', we used it in one of our caravans.

Look, forget all that about the smell. When you roast meat do you complain about the smell? That's what tallow smells like.
And suet is the hard fat from round the kidneys of bovine or ovine animals.
And you don't get three layers and you don't need to ... oh heck, where did you get this guff?
I've been processing tallow for years and make fine candles from it which are in demand by museums all over UK. There's a lot of misinformation about.
Mary