Tallow

In message , Owain writes

And dictate the size of your throne ...

raden

In message , RichardS writes

Use yer own chip pan

I used to have one which had beautiful fat in it. I put the fat from frying everything from bacon to steaks in it, Beautiful tasty chips I got from it.

It wasn't geographic location which caused the problem, it was marital status

Reply to
raden

In message , sPoNiX writes

Miners used to get "free" tallow candles for when they worked down the mine. They were mixed with copper chloride (?) to poison them so that the miners didn't eat them

I just knew you wanted to know that

Reply to
raden

A Leadburner I once knew said it was a simple craft which required no more than a few days study and 20 years practice.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That's because you can do it fine after a few days of study, but then the lead gets to you and you lose it....

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Lord Vitreous of China........

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sweet and savoury..... bite through that lovely crunchy savoury batter and then the soft sweetness of the pineapple. Only for the discerning palate, of course. :(

Reply to
Tony Williams

Then wash it down with a bottle of Buckie....

Reply to
Andy Dingley

if that "tallow" is for old paint recipes, then is it really boiled-critter tallow, or is it stillingia oil from the chinese tallow tree ? (an oily coat on the seeds)

I've never heard of any old varnish or paint recipe that used animal tallow, and I've a pretty extensive collection of all the old recipes. Got any refs for how it was used, or what it made ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

OK, I'll bite.

What's Buckie?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL!

Spouse reminded me that a very skilled leadburner we know uses no flux - or tallow. He's been doing it for more than twenty years though ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm none of those things, just cuddly :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

....... excuse me ....

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Andy Dingley

It was. At least for export - I'm not sure about 'local' consumption. But no longer.

He's not a friend ...

As I said elsewhere - I thought - it's a very large lead tray/dish/trough with shallow sides. It has quite a large crack for a few inches across the middle.

I know. But I'm not sure that he does.

I don't think it has stretched, I think it's cracked though age. I suspect it needs patching - and I think that's what he intends doing.

But that's all irrelevant, I only asked if anyone still used and if you could still get plumbers' tallow ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've just remembered that you're a veggie, so you're forgiven :-)

But most people think that tallow candles smell revolting whereas they only smell of roasting meat.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I made some for a Lead mine in Northumberland - or Durham - can't remember which. They tell visitors that miners used them and lives had been saved because they HAD eaten them when trapped underground by a fall ...

It was before my time so I have no experience, but that's what they said.

Incidentally, Prices Candles do (or did until a few years ago) make tallow candles for Arctic and Antarctic expeditions and HM Forces in cold climes. They were exempt from VAT because they were classified as food ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, I'd be interested in that too. The 'tallow' paint we used was a delightful to use flat paint, the tallow part ws merely the colour.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I don't mind the smell of roasting meat, I don't like he Yorkshire chippy smell though

Reply to
chris French

Obviously sheltered upbringing. Buckfast Tonic Wine a wine produced at Buckfast Abbey in Buckfastleigh, Devon. Alcohol 15% Vol, need one say more?

Reply to
Peter Parry