Tallow

That's very unkind to Prescott.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , RichardS writes

Not to my taste buds..... Anyway I'm veggie.

One of the things I won't miss when I move back down south........ :-)

Reply to
chris French

not a food experience I'd even contemplate, I'm afraid

Reply to
RichardS

For the hautest cuisine try pineapple slices, deep fried in thick crispy batter.

Reply to
Tony Williams

You can't get that for human consumtion in the UK anymore.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

From

"It is possible to buy tallow in paper wrapped lumps from suppliers of materials for making traditional paints, for example :- L. Cornelissen, 105 Great Russel Street, London, WC1B 3R. 071 636

1045. (finest pigments and art materials, booklet on making your own paints). Craig and Rose, 172 Leith Walk, Edinburgh, EH6 5EB 0131554 1131 (lead and oil based distemper) Cy-Pres, Northants (limewash, soft distemper)01536 373431 Farrow and Ball, Uddens Estate, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 7NL 01202 876141 Robert Butcher, Potmolen Paints, 27 Woodstock Ind. Estate, Warminster, Wilts. BA12 9DX. 0985 213960. (trad. paints). Or you should get it from suppliers to the soap making industry. However, it is everso much cheaper to make it for yourself. [snip]

To make your own tallow, get some suet fat from the butcher. This is the heavy thick white fat from inside the back bone of a bovine carcass. It should be free. You then cut it up a bit to break down the membranes, and melt it slowly in a large saucepan. A clear fat will emerge, which can be strained to remove the fibres. You can refine the fat, by adding a little water, and rendering it. Simply heat for a while, then allow to cool. The mixture will separate into three layers. The best tallow on the top, the stock in the middle, and the solids at the bottom. Try it! - but don't blame me for the smell......."

Hope this helps

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Rocky Prescott knows where you live! And the u-values of your house!

Francis

Reply to
FrancisJK

You don't know what you're missing. But then neither do I.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"FrancisJK" wrote | > > What was Tony Blair doing with tallow?! | > That's very unkind to Prescott. | Rocky Prescott knows where you live! And the u-values of your house!

And he'll soon know how many electric sockets you have in your kitchen.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Blechhhhh ........

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Actually you're right. They don't use lard, they use beef dripping, I've bought it in large quantities from the fish and chip suppliers. But after seeing the other things they sell I wouldn't eat f&c from a shop ever again ...

And it doesn't smell revolting - or shouldn't. If it does the fat has gone rancid. That's the myth about tallow candles, that they stink and smoke. They don't if they're made properly.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Get WHAT for human consumption? Beef fat? Oh yes you can.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Tallow is the generic name for animal fat.

I don't want it and it's to repair a split in a huge lead trough.

I think they would but the chap who's donig the repair says he has to have tallow. I don't think he knows what he's talking about.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks, I'll tell him that. But I don't think he'll accept it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I buy paint from F&B but I've never seen them offering tallow. One of the colours in their range is 'tallow', we used it in one of our caravans.

Look, forget all that about the smell. When you roast meat do you complain about the smell? That's what tallow smells like.

And suet is the hard fat from round the kidneys of bovine or ovine animals.

And you don't get three layers and you don't need to ... oh heck, where did you get this guff?

I've been processing tallow for years and make fine candles from it which are in demand by museums all over UK. There's a lot of misinformation about.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

He may be right.

Tallow isn't a flux. It's a useless flux, and it's not generally used on leadwork at a temperature hot enough to even think about being active. Its main purpose is to be an ablative heat barrier / lubricant on wooden paddles or wiping moleskins, so that your tools don't stick and burn on the hot lead.

If you're doing a repair on old lead, it's often a horrible job. Old lead is just a nasty surface to work through - lots of oxides, there may even be carbonates or chlorides to dig through. Quite possibly he's planning to use wooden paddles as part of the shaping process, almost as a wiping of the joint.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I know that :-)

I doubt it. I really don't think he knows what he's taking on, he's not used to working with lead and he doesn't understand the chemistry of lead. He's read a book ...

But I could be wrong. It has been known ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd heard that beef dripping was another casualty of BSE.

So..

Is your friend replacing the valley between two roofs of a church or something? He'd be as well to lay new lead if so. Old lead stretches with heat but does not return like other metals, it is too near the liquid stage so that it flows out and stays out.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In message , Mary Fisher writes

A matter of opinion.....

Ok, lets say it has a distinctive aroma :-) Which I find pretty horrible.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I'm not fat, just tallow