Taking a couple of mm off a door, belt sander?

I have a few doors in my life that are sticking, I have NO skills with a plane, it isn't really enough to warrant getting a circular saw and I cant really be arsed removing the doors anyway....

So wondering if a belt sander would be appropriate for taking a couple of mm off here and there?

Reply to
R D S

Do you already have a belt sander? Not sure I would get one especially for that job (unless, say, I had plenty of other flat things to sand). An angle grinder with sanding disk attachment is in general a more useful tool IMHO. They can remove a lot of material quickly which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Once you have the knack, you can do quite delicate adjustments with them.

If you need to take significant material off over the whole length, it is far better to bite the bullet and remove the door. If you don't want to use a manual plane, power planers are not too expensive and don't need too much skill. Just don't put them down until they have stopped, and keep fingers well clear of the blades! Forget circular saws unless you are experienced, and forget jigsaws altogether.

Reply to
newshound

Loads-a-dust. Do you have a spokeshave or similar to try first ?.

Reply to
Andrew

You're only going to be able to remove material from the side opposite the hinge or, maybe, the top if you're not aiming to remove the door. The belt sander will do it but it's very easy to overdo it with a belt sander.

There's a fair chance that you *actually* need to remove material from the bottom of the door or very close to the hinge, both will need you to remove the door.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, as it happens I just need to remove material from the width of the doors, not top or bottom.

Reply to
R D S

Screwfix have an electric planner for about £25

Adrian Caspersz

You might end up taking a few mm of the carpets! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Yes there was a groove in the carpet here when we moved in. obviously back in the day somebody had used an inappropriate tool theo make the door fit after it had been painted with one too many layers of gloss. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

A plane is the easiest of the tools to get this right. Belt sanding is much less easy. And really you need to take the door off or you're making the odds of getting it right far lower. I would not consider disc sanding at all, that almost guarantees a whatsits-up. Of course it could also be done with sandpaper wrapped round a bit of wood.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As Tabs says, a plane is really the way to go. Certainly better to remove the door too, but can be done in situ if there is not too much to remove. If the problem is really quite localised (say only a few inches long), you could get away with using a small plane.

Reply to
newshound

Surform.

Reply to
mechanic

Honestly, a hand plane would be the easiest and least dangerous (to the door) way of doing this.

Reply to
Tim Watts