System for extracting pong from toilet bowl?

Many years ago I remember watching an episode of Tomorrow's World which featured a piece from their in-house 'inventor', Bob Symes (aka Robert Alexander Baron Schutzmann von Schutzmansdorff according to Wikipedia!). He was talking about the 'home of tomorrow' and it stuck in my mind as at the time I was busily engaged in my first ever refurb job.

I remember him having a central heating system which had drain c**ks directed at a gully outside rather than the living-room carpet, which struck me as being incredibly sensible! But I digress...

One of the things he demonstrated was an air-extraction system ISTR built in to the loo cistern, with a pipe running beneath the seat, so that any less than pleasant gases emerging into the lavvy bowl were swiftly hoovered up and expelled to the outside atmosphere before having the chance to offend the nasal passages of SWMBO.

Since our ensuite khazi has the most comfortable throne in the house - and has the added advantage of being child-free - it seems a pity being banned from putting it to its intended purpose of a morning, and I was wondering whether the aforementioned system was available anywhere? Anyone have a clue?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

... while the suction holds you captive to the seat :-)

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Showing my age - I too remember that programme. IIRC it was simply a 'tee' into the flush pipe taken outside to either a high level so that a draught was created or else a small extractor fan was installed - but it was along time ago!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Spotted one a couple of days ago when picked up a new screwfix cat. Website does not have an installed pic but paper cat does (issue 90 p449 part no 98928).

Or

£60 PIR activated!

Geo

Reply to
Geo

seen that...

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Peter Andrews writes

Shhh

Reply to
geoff

What do they means "tackles embarrassing bathroom toilet odours" ? Nothing to be embarrassed about, in fact something to be proud of if particularly deadly and long lasting. lol

dg

Reply to
dg

The message from "P & H Macguire" contains these words:

Nah! A perfumed candle burns for longer than a match...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

I live "there" and have also never seen any...

is what the OP is looking for. Site's in German, but the drawing will convince!

is a no-vent version with an activated charcoal filter.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Wirklich ?

Das glab' ich net

Reply to
geoff

I thought it was his own idea which he had patented and sold to a German company.

He also had a lister/petter genset with the first battery-inverter I had ever seen. In 74 I was working nearby and I heard this genset firing up and then immediately dying then starting again. I went to have a look and his wife, Monica IIRC, was a bit distraught so I switched the startomatic off and decided there was some sort of feedback loop in the inverter charging set. I proceeded to disconnect things but didn't discover the problem. When Bob got home he was furious with me, what had happened was a house guest had switched on a light built into a shaving mirror, this had a small transformer built in to provide 110V. The startomatic system worked by having a standing DC voltage between live and neutral and when it sensed a closed circuit is started the generator, so the dc passed through the primary and started the genset, the impedance was so great it looked like an open circuit to AC and switched off und so weiter! I lost contact soon after but not before I'd made another faux pas with his milford lathe...

AJH

Reply to
AJH