System boiler recommendations?

I have a boiler: Glow-Worm Fuel Saver(?) 45000BTU (AFAICR)

It's a fine little beast and has done us proud but

It's now over 12 years old It soots up every 6 years and I have just serviced it again - it's getting a little knocked about. I've replaced 3 thermocouples and a couple of over temperature interlock sensors We have also built an extension and it roars along at full blast more than it used to with the extra load.

I feel the time has come to replace it. I have no desire to change the system so it would be a straightforward replacment for one that's:

a little over 45000BTU (or whatever the kW are now) 400mm wide balanced flue (as now)

What boiler would the panel recommend? Although the previous one was a DIY job (apart from the gas connection and testing), I may get a frinedly corgi I know to quote for this one (OT - sorry).

Make, condensing (I assume) or not?

Cheers

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Expect some IMM invective. Ineffective invective, probably.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bob, you don't say what your DHW is. A Glow Worm condensing boiler is a good boiler (s steel exchanger), as is the W-B Greenstar (ally exchanger). Paul likes the Buderus, so do I. The high end range is Eco-Hometec, Viesmann, etc.

These boilers modulate typically between 5kW to 24kW, so when reheating the cylinder and starting up in the morning the system will take all that is thrown at it. You will appreciate the fast start up. When up to temp, the boiler backs off to far lower output than the Fuel Saver.

I assume you have 22mm flow and return pipes. No problem. A condensing boiler can operate on smaller pipe to deliver more same heat than a non-condensing boiler, which would need 28mm pipes.

What about a quick recovery coil cylinder (you can downsize the existing cylinder) and making the system a priority system. You will appreciate the zippo heated hot water.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I thought that he serviced plumbing..... as it were...

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well i'm just about to have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28 HE system boiler fitted. If you ask me the same question in a few months...hopefully i'll recommend this boiler.

Reply to
RedOnRed

I replaced my Fuelsaver F last year (was about 45 or 55K BTU, can't remember which). My one was not a system boiler though, pump etc was all external.

It will probably keep going for a good few years yet...

Not sure if it as much of a problem with system boilers, but I wanted to replace my one with a combi, and found it quite difficult to track down many that were narrow enough to fit in the gap vacated by the dinky Fuelsaver. If you realy need it to fit in 400mm that will eliminate a good number of the usual suspects. In the end I went for an Ideal Isar which is not much bigger than the Gloworm and needs practically no clearance space round it. There is a system version called the Icos.

Pleased with mine so far, but then its has only been in about a year so hard to say what the long term prognosis will be like. Very easy to fit and commission BTW.

If you are staying in the house then you might as well go for a condenser....

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you (and others) for the named suggestions. I am more than happy with the existing cylinder/airing cupboard/back up immersion heater arrangements (which suit us fine) so I was just looking for a straight boiler replacement. Our hot water supplies are adequate unless the heating load is very high, so a larger capacity boiler would be enough for me. You are correct in your assumption that the boiler pipes are 22mm.

It's probably the case (see another post) the existing one would keep going a while yet but I don't reckon it owes me anything (I fitted it myself apart from the gas) and I was thinking along the lines of a modulating condensing boiler.

Cheers to all,

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ah yes. My mistake careless thoughts and typing. Mine isn't actually a "system" boiler I had in my mind the desire to keep the existing "system" and replace the boiler and used the word inappropriately. It's a standard external pump set up. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Bob

You need a "heating" boiler, not a system boiler.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Think the old name for yours is a 'basic electrics' boiler.

I can see the attraction of a system one for installers - more profit for less work. And of course it can save some space.

But if you're happy with external pump and valves etc, this seems to be a more sensible option as you then aren't tied to one maker's spares, and are likely to be easier to work on when required.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...he is at ir again folks....yes read this....

...no it isn't.....the rest is snipped to ease you the pain of reading it....

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Ah right, thought that may be the case. The Icos is still a contender though since there is a heating only version that is actually smaller than the fuelsaver... you will need to shift the flue position up a foot or so because the flue is a concentric job that comes out of the top of the boiler rather than the exit from 2/3rds up the back type on the fuelsaver. CH pipework still exits at the top ;-)

Details here:

John Rumm