swapping electric hotplate hob for induction

Our induction hob connects via a 13A plug.

It has to be using less than a more traditional hotplate type.

Reply to
JNugent

Many induction hobs can be preset with a power limit and they will cut power on rings to avoid exceeding it. Ours is certainly capable of that, but as it is hard-wired, it can use full power ... nearly 10kW with all four rings at maximum.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Same. With a decent set of pans they are a game changer.

Reply to
R D S

We found induction very on/off, when turned down low all that happens is that the on/off duty cycle is reduced. Since it's not at all fast (e.g. it's off for 8 seconds and then on for 2 seconds for 20%) it really isn't much good for cooking things slowly.

Our old fashioned solid metal hotplate is far better than either gas or induction for cooking things slowly (it's on a mixed gas/electric hob).

Reply to
Chris Green

We have a microwave like that - it works in 30 second time periods, so 1/3 power gives you 10 seconds of full power and then off for 20 seconds. It's hopeless at making eg porridge, because the 10s at 900W into already boiling porridge is enough to make enough steamy foam to overflow any container.

I can understand that for a microwave, where you don't have proportional control of the magnetron, although 30s is far too long. But would have thought that PWM of an induction coil wouldn't be a big ask.

Perhaps just a shortcoming of your particular unit? It sounds like they just cheaped out on the software.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

On 02/04/2022 17:24, Chris Green wrote: <snip>

I'm sure you could make them like that, and it seems that some do. Ours isn't like that.

We've had normal electric and gas, but after using induction in a few National Trust holiday cottages, we decided we'd change when appropriate.

So when we moved, we did just that. A lot of our cookware (copper bottomed) had to go to a good home, but the induction cooker is so much better. I'd never go back.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

OK, I'll bite. If "it's not at all fast" why isn't it much good for slow cooking? FWIW, our Bosch induction hob seems to manage cooking slowly for hours and the food is palatable.

Reply to
Richard

Just use a bigger container, such as a Pyrex bowl. [1] If you don't set the microwave to maximum it'll just take longer. [2] I never use anything other than maximum power on mine. I don't try to use it to defrost as microwaves are never much good for that, as they don't heat ice very well.

[1] 18cm for 1 serving; 21cm for 2 (or maybe 3). [2] Stir rolled oats (and a pinch of salt) into the water - I find 1/4 cup to 1 cup per serving right - zap for 3 minutes, stir, zap for 2 minutes, stir, then stand for 1 minute.
Reply to
Max Demian

Pyrex cooking bowl is good.

I have a porridge cup with marks for small/large servings together with appropriate milk levels.

900Watt on full power for 60 seconds, stir, further 60 seconds to finish cooking. Take out and stir. >
Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm another fan, as is my wife. It sounds as though you had a dud one.

One of the major advantages is cleaning: If something boils over you just wipe it up. It doesn't burn on, and the hob doesn't get really hot

- it will get up to the temperature of the saucepan _eventually_ which is normally boiling, but that takes longer than most of the things I cook.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris