Induction hob - not above oven?

A client asked me about fitting a new hob and oven in their kitchen. They'd been considering an induction hob but were told that it shouldn't be installed above an oven. Anyone have any idea why not?

(They're getting back to the suppliers - John Lewis - to ask why, but I said I'd ask the oracle :-))

Reply to
John Stumbles

I think it depends on the design of the hob. We fitted ours (DeDietrich) above the oven without problems, but there were no warnings in the manual about it.

Reply to
Grunff

Probably the electronics in the hob don't like the heat.

May be possible to make a baffle from masterboard/cement board...?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Possibly. Or the design of the hob is that significant magnetic flux leaks out underneath and will heat the metal work of the oven just like it heats the pans on top...

Wouldn't have much affect on a magnetic field...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Doubt it, otherwise the hob would cook itself :)))

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Good point... but of the construction of the hob could be such that there are no circuits for the induced currents to flow in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Best not store saucepans or tins of beans in the cupboard underneath it then?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Immediately below ours we store only wooden chopping boards etc. We were advised against storing anything metal in there.

Will.

Reply to
Will

Beware. These Induction Hobs can cause navigation problems for overhead flying saucers. Best check the small print of your household buildings & contents insurance just to be on the safe side just in case you get framed for the cost of someone travelling to alpha centauri to apologise to the young alien's parents...

Oh, hang on - can you look into this pen shaped neuralizer thingy?

Thanks ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

It's because of heat. The NEFF induction hob we have warns that it must be installed with air gap underneath, drawer etc all fine and but no heat sources ie oven. I think there is a fan on the hob to remove excess heat, if necessary, never heard it go, but the draw contents (wood, metal, plastic) do get slightly warm after a while due to the warm air escaping out.

Reply to
Ian_m