Swapping a fireplace - any tips?

We have 2 new fireplaces on order to replace the once stylish 1960's tiled ones which, however generous you are, just don't suit this Victorian house. Initially they will only be used with electric fires (I know, very Victorian!) so no need to worry about the flues etc.

Question is, does anyone have any top tips for doing the job? Getting the old ones out is my current issue - I'm hoping to pick the supplier's brains for the low down on fitting the new. Obviously I'd like to keep damage to the walls as slight as possible and the new ones are wider but what's the best way to get the old ones out? I'm sort of assuming there will be some steel brackets at the sides somewhere - Is that right? I'm guessing they both have structural hearths: Is there a clever trick to split the mortar the hearth is sitting on from the older material beneath? (I suspect that 1960's cement could be tough stuff). Since I'll be doing this at the weekend, I'd like to get organised beforehand, rather than spending half the time queuing in Screwfix / Wickes / B&Q etc. I'm wondering whether a weekend's hire of a Kango would be a good thing or whether my SDS will be sufficient.

Reply to
GMM

Hearth will probably just be plopped down on some mortar on whatever was underneath: should just lever up: nail bar or bolster with a bit of scaffold tube for leverage. Arch will be fitted to wall with a couple of brackets towards the top, going out sideways. You can probably find them by going up along the outside edge of the tiles with an angle grinder. Or metal detector. Or just prise the arch away from the wall and look for where the plaster cracks. Both bits will be HEAVY, two man lifts. You can cut them up with a 9 inch angle grinder, or split with chisel in an SDS drill. There will be steel reinforcing. It will basically be held in place by gravity, just leaning against the wall and stopped from tipping by the brackets, not set into the wall needing anything like a Kango (although a big Kango will break it up faster than a small SDS).

Reply to
Newshound

Thanks for that - it sounds like what I was anticipating / hoping for, with the added bonus of a reason to get the angle grinder out (!). I was thinking of running the grinder along the sides and finding the brackets but it occurred to me that I might be able to see them through the gap if I removed the tiles. I have flipped a few tiles off the sides of one tonight and can't see much that way, but I may be looking more at tile cement than the structure. (It's a bit late to start hitting it hard to get the last bit of each tile out!).

Sounds like shifting / disposing of it will be a significant challenge: Perhaps it's time for a bigger angle grinder!

Reply to
GMM

In article , GMM writes

If there are any fixings at all I would expect one either side just down from the top. If it's the style I'm thinking of the vertical part will rest on the hearth part so remove that first. Much as the angle grinder is tempting I'd say avoid as the slight benefit is more than outweighed by the mess so just open up the plaster a (little) bit by the sides and top with a bolster to free it off. Lever at the sides rather than the top as those will be less noticeable when making good.

I wouldn't expect it to be reinforced so break it up with a sledge or club hammer (don't go overboard) into just manageable blocks for moving outside and further destruction if reqd.

Reply to
fred

Well I found that levering off the tiles at the sides exposes two thick wires going under the plaster, near the top at each side. I've managed to cut them on one side - just trying to think of a plan for the other side (radiator in the way of my PMF100 and I can't seem to find my bolt croppers just now!). Flipping the tiles off all around has provided a gap, so once I can deal with the two wires I hope I'll be able to tilt it forward if it's not well fixed elsewhere. Seems pretty solid to me so far though.

Reply to
GMM

I had a look in the Screwfix catalogue but they seem to be out of stock of wives with buckets. Looks like it's just going to be the sledge then....

Reply to
GMM

gloves. I have a scarred finger from taking out a fireplace nearly

30 years ago. Razor sharp edge of broken tile or marble
Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Good point - I have already learned that lesson today sadly !

Reply to
GMM

I've given it a thump or ten tonight, without getting stuck in too much and it's clear that it was only held upright by the wires at the sides but the whole thing is tied together with horizontal steel bars. As these come out (with a bit of chipping away and a bit of prising) it seems to be losing its strength. I'm guessing that once the steel is out, the 'legs' will lift away. Then it'll be time to have fun shifting the hearth.....

Reply to
GMM