SWA cable cleats, how are they supposed to be used?

This may seem rather a silly question but looking at the 'SWA cable cleats' supplied by Screwfix and others I'm not really sure how they are supposed to be used.

Do you really fix an SWA cable onto a flat surface with these, with a screw through the hole? It makes for an asymmetrical mount with one flat side (where the screw is) and one half round side (round the cable).

They *look* as if they'd be happier with the half round end away from the wall but I can't see how you could fix them that way.

Reply to
Chris Green

Excuse the cobwebs ...

Andy Burns

Do you mean ones like these

or like these (which I can't see on Screwfix)

Robin

Thanks Andy, they just seem somehow 'wrong' like that. :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

The first, specifically called 'cleats' for some odd reason.

Reply to
Chris Green

I asked as I've never thought of the end of those as being "half round".

And FWLIW I was told that SWA cable should hang from cleats (ie with the screw at the top). But that could be 180 degrees wrong.

Reply to
Robin

I found it "sat" better with the blunt end inside the bends

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well the regs only say how far apart they need to be not which way up they need to be.

Reply to
ARW