surveillance cameras

In any case, their options would be limited there. Traffic lights, to make the road one way in alternate directions, along with road markings or kerbs to direct vehicles away from the wall, would be one option, but I doubt it would be popular with residents.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I don't think there's anything you can do involving the road without Council permission. And "public space" CCTV will require an ICO licence, cameras and recording system that is secure, etc.

My only suggestion is some sacrificial wall covering eg corrugated steel *lightly* attached to the masonry, so that when a lorry impacts it there is immediate visible and audible damaged caused, sufficient to alert the driver to desist, and hopefully to protect the wall too so it is easier and cheaper to replace the corrug than getting masons in.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Because they get to use the very much wider free space near the pole when going the other way.

Yes they can use it when going that way, but the less competant truck drivers wouldnt realise that until its too late.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The big problem with continuous recording is that you usually don't know when the problem happened so it can be a complete pain in the arse to go thru the footage to work out when it happened.

One approach is to have both.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Paint a white, cross-hatched margin, 50-60cm wide at the foot of that wall. Enough to persuade drivers to take a slightly wider approach to the corner. It may not be legal to do so, but I doubt if anyone would make too much of a fuss. If needed, it's better to ask for forgiveness than apply for permission.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

It would be criminal damage.

That probably depends upon whether it causes a crash when a vehicle coming the other way collides with the vehicle taking a wider approach. That road doesn't look as though it is wide enough to lose that much width safely.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

A computer can actually find that for you.

ffprobe can tell you the number of bytes per packet. Visual action, raises the byte count.

YOLO can recognize number plates. At least one experimental YOLO was set up for ANPR. Not that this is needed as such. There's no reason to log all the cars that pass, just as long as you know a car was there. YOLO should also be able to do "Car" (draw a rectangle around a car in the picture).

*******

The house across the way, has a good vantage point. Fitting cameras would deface the thing.

I would fit a wide angle, global shutter, 4K, on the second floor, facing the traffic direction. That would be used to "capture the accident". I would fit the second camera lower down, global shutter, 4K, for number plate recording, with the zoom adjusted the width of the street lane. Global shutter is to improve capture of fast moving objects. Rolling shutter can be slightly affected by things such as police flashing lights, when shooting video.

The alternatives are to use the parish side, where the cameras will be within reach of villains.

Ethernet (with POE or not), has a length limit. Wifi is an option instead of Ethernet. Cameras sometimes run off 12VDC. A camera can be fitted with solar power and a battery (in a lock box). Again, solar panel too low, not villain proof. Maybe this means conduit for power, along the railing. Wifi for signal.

*******

On the one hand, fitting retroreflective "pickets" along the curve, might improve visibility, I would guess people are "diving into the wall" to avoid traffic and they are all too aware of the wall.

I would look at the marks on the wall, to plan my next move :-) The marks should tell you whether the "diving while driving" is consistent. And whether a barrier would not have to cover the whole corner.

Whoever suggested the mirror, that's a good idea. It's unclear whether villains have to smash those or paint over them. Painting is the most likely response ("tagging"). It looks a "polite neighbourhood" as the fence isn't tagged. Perhaps a mirror then, would hold up. Picking a location for the mirror would be disruptive.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

There isn't sufficient room to put a median or barrier between the two lanes. So that one lane cannot swing out and scare the other lane into the wall.

One thing that adding barriers does, is drop the driving speed a bit. The barrier only need last for the corner. Sand barrels must be added before the barrier starts, for head on collision reasons.

In this picture, sand barrels protect the overpass supports. That's enough barrels to stop a transport.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

With long wheelbase vehicles, like lorries, you need to be aware while driving that the centre of the body makes a tighter turn than the wheels. I would think that is probably a major reason for the impacts.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Paul snipped-for-privacy@needed.invalid wrote

Not if the truck just scrapes and gouges the wall and carrys on regardles, hoping that no one notices at the time.

Which doesnt tell you when a truck scraped the wall.

That's just a truck driving thru, not the one that f***ed the wall.

Depends on how good the image is.

It is if you want to make the culprit's employer pay for the damage.

We aren'y talking about cars.

Fat lot of use that would be.

But may not get a good look at the rego plate.

Not necessarily.

But can see the rego plate recognition significantly worse.

Yeah, hard to miss that wall with its contrasting bollards.

Not clear that a barrier would be allowed with a heritage site.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We don't do sand barriers here and I havent noticed any on the dashcam video that Adam used to post.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They never used to do stuff like that, but undoubtedly someone got sued, so someone else had to put up barrels. Some of the guard rail ends, even have a crude "spring" on the end. That is a new method too. Forty years ago, the end of the guard rail was there to disembowel you.

I don't want to go out and test that :-)

They also don't particularly like tapered ends, that form a ramp and would cause a car to become airborne. It's really surprising just what a car can do.

[Picture] " Bentley describes its Flying Spur as a "luxury sedan" with "effortless power." OK "

Apparently the vehicle had been in to the shop for an accelerator pedal problem

We had a car in town here, that pulled something similarly fancy. It landed in a field, without the front of the car smashing into anything. Whereas that Bentley, after that point in the video, turns into a fireball when it hit something solid.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

We don't do sued here or in the UK.

While we don't have anything like a spring, we do have big folded ends so there isnt an edge to spike the vehicle.

I don't recall ours were ever like that.

We have never had those either.

Yep.

We havent see much of that either. Corse they didnt either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We used to just slope the end of a barrier down into the ground, which was great for launching the occasional vehicle into the air. This seems to be a fairly common barrier termination these days:

Abroad I have seen stacks of containers protecting the ends of barriers, but my understanding is that they are filled with water. When hit, the water is released through a valve, giving a controlled deceleration as the container collapses.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Yes, they did water. Our water ones were replaced with sand. Don't know why. Didn't hear there was a problem with water.

It's possible the solution types are also determined by expected velocity.

One problem with sand, is below zero C weather may change the consistency of the sand in the barrel. You would not expect anyone to be checking on the integrity of these barrels on a regular basis.

*******

The Bentley in the photo, I'd like to know what its launch velocity was. Look at the height off the ground in the photo. Just, amazing.

I've seen a car impaled into the side of a building, through the second floor of a building, but that's a launch off a higher structure across the street. The Bentley was a ground to air missile, where the product description for that model says "effortless power" -- the proof of the pudding so to speak... The vehicle may have been button start, so no ignition key available. You'd think there would be an option for ejector seats, like on a fighter.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yes, but better than something the vehicle runs into.

That is one hell of a mess. Nothing like ours.

Got an image of that ? Nothing like that here.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Surely the problem for you lot is that it freezes in winter and becomes almost as bad as a block of concrete.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Wouldnt be much fun in a tunnel.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I don't even recall which country I saw them in, which makes it a bit difficult searching for a Google streetview image. However, they are mentioned her, with a picture of one in Auckland, New Zealand:

This video shows a car hitting some water filled attenuators:

Colin Bignell

That isnt one with a valve that the water is ejected thru.

That looks more like an experimental setup given the roadworks in progress.

Reply to
Rod Speed