Surform

Hi

Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I haven't used one for years. Are they any good these days?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have one which I use exclusively for trimming the edges of plasterboard to fit the space I want it to!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've always found them a disappointment. Never use mine these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're supposed to use a sharp blade.

I use mine quite often to take a few thin shavings off the sides of wood ie when doors become stuck in the hole. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It is - and I have a new spare.

I'd use the electric plane these days. But before, a sharp ordinary plane was still better than a Sureform.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use mine a fair amount. Especially since I bought a new blade for it.

Reply to
Huge

|On 2006-08-05, The Medway Handyman wrote: |> Hi |>

|> Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I haven't |> used one for years. Are they any good these days? | |I use mine a fair amount. Especially since I bought a new blade |for it.

Mine gets lots of use. Great for rough work on wood, I also got a new blade when the old one was knackered. I also have one with a plastic body which is not as good as the old metal one.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I have three, and use them often - in the kitchen. They're great for shaving cheese, chocolate, removing the rind from citrus fruits, etc.

I don't remember the last time I used the one in my toolbox.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Yes. Not all that often, but there's the odd occasion when they're just the right tool. Surprisingly good at cutting across the end grain for trimming through-tenons after assembly.

Reply to
Guy King

Be very careful - these are razor sharp - got my daughter to bring some rotary discs back from USA. She decided too touch one - as I had told her they were very sharp - she only did it the once............

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Conversely, there is a range of tools made by Microplane

are on the same principle but an order of magnitude better than the Surform.

There are a number for woodworking including planes, rasps, drums - even a replacement blade for a Surform that makes it worth using.

Then there are a selection of kitchen graters and a personal care product for removing cheese from other places.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

My brother has a cheese grater (hard cheese - parmesan, that sort of thing) which had round holes in it which appear to have been burred at the edges with a reamer or some such. It's wickedly sharp. I wish I had one to do my heels with.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh I know

That's why they are good.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I find Scholl "Cracked Heel Cream" pretty effective for that, but it does pong like old-fashioned Germoline.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Leaving the cheese aside for a second, my wife has really bad problems with her heels - cracked, split etc. If you have this problem, have you tried Flexitol? Works really well when pretty much everything else has failed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Hasn't worked yet - but I've only been using it for a few days. During the winter I have lovely soft feet, but this summer I've been in sandals since late May and my heels have really suffered from it. Showering instead of baths doesn't help, either - no chance for a really good long soak.

Reply to
Guy King

Yep. tried that one - one of the many including lanolin, you name it...]

Reply to
Andy Hall

But whereas the latter can be bought in Europe, the (appalling) website says that woodworking tools are not avaialable -- though the US bit of the website offers a load of tools. Anyone know why?

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

OK that's enough... can we close this thread now please???

Reply to
Lobster

So I just discovered. No I don't. I did buy some a few months ago from Axminster but they seem to be gone from their site.

From Microplane International's site, it seems that they are not currently available anywhere in Europe.

I've emailed them to ask why.

Generally, though, this type of issue is one of a few things:

- Patent infringement/dispute.

- Product liability issue.

- Lack of sales.

If the worst comes to the worst, their stuff can be ordered from Woodcraft, Rockler and others in the U.S.

Reply to
Andy Hall