Can creosote still be used ?

I found 3 5l containers of "light creosote" in my garage, can I legally still use this on my garden fence and gate ? If not any recommendations ?

Reply to
Ian_m

I won't tell anybody if you don't!!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

I know someone who used creosote on his bedroom floorboards. I can still smell it now. What a waste of a mop and bucket. So funny.

Reply to
The New Boy

To be honest I've no idea if it's been banned or not, but if you use it, who's going to make you take it off? Oh sorry Mr environmental council geezer, I didn't know.

Just make sure you wear goggles if you use it, I splashed it in my eye when I was at my first job after leaving school, and the stinging is unbelievable.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

CREOSOTE BAN

Since June 30th 2003 creosote has been withdrawn from sale to householders. Stored creosote must not be used by householders and should be disposed of safely and responsibly by 31st June 2004. The change in law is due to its recently found cancerous properties

There is a hefty penalty for DIY use, but there is a hefty penalty for most DIY things these days. Live dangerously!

Reply to
EricP

and rubber gloves as splashes tend to burn. Remember plants too near will burn until the solvents vaporize.

Reply to
Jim Scott

Studies by the Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicity and Aerosol Research (Hanover, Germany) found that creosote had a greater potential to cause cancer than had been previously thought.

John

Reply to
John & Lisa

"Ian_m" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tcp.co.uk:

My father still uses old sump oil thinned with petrol!

Reply to
serialthrilla

No.

Shpx the law and use it anyway.

***
Reply to
AG

Is he a smoker?

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in news:44748c1c@

212.67.96.135:

Used to be, not that he ever smoked when applying it ( well not when we were there as kids anyway!)

Funny thing is though, the fences are still standing today and no sign of rot unlike mine using modern alternatives.

Reply to
serialthrilla

If you do use ,wash your hands BEFORE going to the toilet.

Reply to
Tab

Same applies if chopping raw chilli's, and wash VERY thoroughly.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have been told it's use is now illegal. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

There are lots of things in life that are illegal, but does anyone really bother ..... ? I know if my neighbour used it I for one wouldn't give a jot. Mind you, I love the smell of it. Wife thinks I weird anyway

Reply to
the_constructor

Me too

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The substitute smells exactly the same. Just used 5 litres on my shed and yard gates

Reply to
AG

I'm told lots of women find it something of an aphrodisiac. Perhaps we need to get the female perspective just to confirm.

Palindr?me?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

in that case, paint your bedroom walls with it :-)

Reply to
jan

And test the carcinogenic properties to boot.

Mike

Reply to
Mike