Suitable adhesive?

Can someone suggest a suitable flexible adhesive, other than a silicone type, for glueing stainless-steel mesh to plastic? Something thick, with properties like silicone sealant/adhesive, would be perfect. Cheers.

Reply to
Sloper

Hot melt glue and gun? Very useful for those sort of things. It's not very flexible, though. But then I'd have thought mesh wasn't either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What sort of plastic? Nothing much will stick to polyethylene for example.

Reply to
Newshound

What plastic? Makes a lot of difference

Epoxy sticks to many, but not all, plastics. Olefins being the hardest to get anything to adhere to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. You need a solvent glue that will attack its surface and then another glue to attach the attacked surface that is now not actual polythene, to the next layer...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm afraid I don't know what sort of plastic it is. I'm pretty sure its not a polythene type though as its quite hard, and one side is very high gloss. There was some sort of black rubbery stuff, possibly silicone, stuck to it before, if that helps. I think I'll try the hot-melt glue or epoxy (maybe a bit of both) as I have access to those already. I've never used hot-melt glue before though. At least if it doesn't work, it should be easy to remove eh? Cheers.

Reply to
Sloper

I've personally not had much success with hot melt, but at least it is flexible (unlike epoxy). Hard and glossy could be acrylic or styrene so solvent type glues sound possible. Gorilla glue is perhaps not flexible enough?

Reply to
Newshound

I've thought again, and now think flexibility isn't so important. Gorilla glue isn't advertised as being suitable for plastics though. I notice No Nails glues metals and plastics... perhaps that is worth a try?

Reply to
Sloper

The faster epoxies I use - 5 minute - are slightly flexible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. Mirror glue is another similar compund - spirit based rubbery gunk that sets quite hard. also glues used toi hold shoes soles on. And evostik

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You'll find it on cars glueing bits of various trim materials together, like say inside a door trim. Like say hardboard type material, various plastics, leather, metal etc. It's not of course the strongest glue in the world.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)