submersible pump question.

Need to empty a 50 ft well. Think this could be very difficult as most pumps seem to operate to a max head of around 35 feet.

Guess it could be done with two pumps and a buffer tank at 25 feet.

However the question is some of these pumps are advertised as dirty water devices and some (Aldi this week) can handle a max particle size of 35mm. How does this work when the outlet is a 1 inch or 1.25 inch fitting?

GrahamC

Reply to
Graham C

Graham C used his keyboard to write :

It was probably suppposed to read 3.5mm..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Agreed.

You want a borehole pump

either "screw" type, or multi stage centrifugal. The "standard" submersibles tend to be single stage.

Reply to
newshound

Really as big as that? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just happened to be looking on Screwfix...

"Multistage submersible Pump"

Max delivery height 36m it says in the manual they link to.

Now all I have to do is find the well. It's here somewhere, it's marked on the old OS maps!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Google for borehole pumps. Ordinary de-warering pumps are singe stage/impellor. A borehole pump has multiple impellors, you can get tem run up to 500psi, ie a depth of a thousand feet.

They are water cooled and you may have to install it in a pipe a little larger than the pump to force the water through the motor on some desigens.

Some hang on a rigid pipe, others have a plastic pipe and hang on a stainless steel cable.

It will need water sensing switches/control system, it must never run dry. It must not rest on the bottom of the well (to keep the crud out of it) it must be suspended .

Reply to
harryagain

If it's old, it may need clearing out.

Do NOT go down the well without air test, there may be carbon dioxide or methane down there. Esp. if the well is covered, ie not ventilated. People have died.

Also people may hve used it to discharge nasty stuff down there in the past. Drains can leak into them, also agricultural waste (shit) On the other hand it may be fit to drink It needs pumping for a while and then the water testing But good way of saving money these days. Well worth investigating.

Reply to
harryagain

Well, I ...errm I'll start that again.

The house is 17th century and I assume the well is the same vintage. However as the water table is currently about a foot down I doubt there's much air in there to poison me with. I'd already decided the best thing was to drop the blower side of my big vacuum down there. But thanks for the warning anyway.

I really want it to keep the pond topped up, and to water the garden if we get a dry year. For the latter a bit of organic material wouldn't hurt.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I thought you said you hadn't found it yet? All will depend on how fast the water runs in to replace what you pump out. As you pump, the level will fall until eqilibrium is reached (ie it's running in as fast as you pump it out.) As you pump more and the level falls more, it runs in faster. If you exceed the speed it can run in, the well will be pumped dry & will have to be left until it refills.

Only test pumping can tell you what's what.

Reply to
harryagain

It's marked on the 6-inch OS map from 1950. It can't have gone far :)

Next door tell me that we have a right to use it (and the other next door has a right from us). The newer of these houses is only about 20 years old.

True. Though if I'm topping up a leaky pond it'll end up back in the well anyway :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris