Sturmey Archer DynoHub Magnet

Hi All

I took the back wheel off my "vintage town bike" last weekend and opened a right can of worms......

The problem was I couldn't install the wheel such that the centre of the hub remained static with the wheel spindle and the outer hub rotated with the wheel. The inner and outer were very difficult to rotate separately (that's without any spindle nuts/washers tightened). Prior to this I had been riding the bike occasionally without any issues.

So I extracted the complete dyno hub inner and outer to discover that the whole thing is full of crud and needs a serious clean.

The problem (or point of interest) is that a warning stamped on the hub states that the inner and outer parts of the hub must not be separated without a keeper. It appears that the centre of the assembly is a kind of layered steel plate construction. Will the magnetic effect be lost if the complete assembly is dumped in a meths bath or similar?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

You?ll probably find chapter and verse on dynohubs here.

(You are correct about the perils of opening them).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+