Stump killing

Didn't say buy it. Lots of people have got some

Reply to
Peter Scott

Sugar, citric acid, flour

Reply to
Peter Scott

The weeds I killed a few months ago were unaware of such a ban:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Shush.

Reply to
Huge

Typical TNP post - wrong, wrong, wrong.

Correct.

Reply to
Huge

Ammonium sulphamate is still available in the UK but no longer as a herbicide (used to be sold as Root-out stump killer). It is now sold as a compost accelerator. A google search will produce some suppliers. It will kill off a 6 inch stump without any problems. As you suggest drill a ring of holes just inboard of the bark, add some crystals and cover with a plastic bag.

Reply to
rbel

I don't know about time of year, but I've killed several smallish stumps with glyphosate. As I recall, I've used it neat and diluted. I drilled holes through the bark, and used a squeeze bottle to fill them up. I never bothered to plug them. If in doubt, 10:1 dilution would be amply strong and not use too much.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I did say IIRC, cos last time I got some that was how

No need to be snotty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Glyphosate is a systemic herbicide and needs to be on leaves. Pointless on a stump. Try SBK in paraffin in the perimiter sapwood in holes. The paraffin soaks in and you do not need plastic bags but it would do no harm until it does soak in. Chris PS I agree with posters that a pick and an hour of hard graft is the right solution!

Reply to
chris

As others have said 50% mix of the professional strength glyphosate with water applied to the cut cambium surface within a few hours of cutting. With glyphosate being a translocatable herbicide it needs to be carried down to the roots where it prevents growth at the tips. As such it's often better to give a couple of doses at the lowest recommended strength because high doses traumatise the cells and prevent it being transported properly. I used to favour frill girdling and glyphosate application a few weeks before felling, especially with trees that sucker (sumach, poplarrobinia etc.)

If you do composting there is an aid, ammonium sulphamate, that adds a bit of nitrogen and acidity to a heap to help the microbes work, it was formerely sold as Drax Rootout before the licence for this use expired.

AJH

Reply to
andrew