Stump killing

This post has been prompted by the thread Roundup or What? which reminded me that I have a number of thorn tree stumps that have re-sprouted after being cut off at or near ground level.
I have a vague idea that the accepted trick is to drill a few holes in the stump (presumably in what was the sapwood outer edge), pour in some Roundup and plug the holes but I am extremely hazy on the detail and a quick google hasn't helped.
I have some commercial strength glyphosate (360gm/l) so:
How much do I need to dilute it to turn it into stump killer?
How much dilute solution is needed to kill a moderate sized stump - say 6" diameter?
And what is the best time of the year for the application? I appreciate that it is now too late in the season to do anything worthwhile this year.

in
some
say
appreciate
year.
I understood that glyphosate was absorbed by the leaves and is ineffective on contact with water (or sap?). I've sucessfully killed large stumps by drilling a few largish holes and pouring battery acid in them.
AWEM
On 26/10/2010 12:03, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Adverts for Roundup stump and root killer say it contains glyphosate but not at what concentration nor what else it contains. Does anyone have a container of the stuff to see what it consists of?
Roger Chapman wrote:

hire a stump grinder or a mini digger and smash that bar stewards to bits.
Petty sure glyphosate wont work,,.you need a different poison.
On 10/26/2010 7:23 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Copper sulphate.

You won't touch a six foot stump with a mini digger

nicknoxx wrote:

But how about a six inch one?
Andy Burns wrote:

easy peasy. dig a moat round and break the main side roots, then heave under with a digging bucket.
Did all the stumps up to 12" like that. one big one took several hours and a bit of axework, so that's about the limit for a mini digger.

I have an elderly and crap mini digger and it has great difficulty with even minor roots. I did try with one stump somewhere between 6" and 12" but most of the digging and cutting was eventually done with a mattock and the remains pulled out with a real tractor which is how I had dealt with some stumps that had to come out previously. However access is a problem for most of the stumps. The ground slopes too steeply to trust machines on it. I don't want to dig these stumps out, just kill them off.
On 26/10/10 16:40, Roger Chapman wrote:

after digging the moat and cutitng most of the roots I use a winch, having left 4 or feet of stump going up for leverage. [g]
Roger Chapman wrote:

As others have said 50% mix of the professional strength glyphosate with water applied to the cut cambium surface within a few hours of cutting. With glyphosate being a translocatable herbicide it needs to be carried down to the roots where it prevents growth at the tips. As such it's often better to give a couple of doses at the lowest recommended strength because high doses traumatise the cells and prevent it being transported properly. I used to favour frill girdling and glyphosate application a few weeks before felling, especially with trees that sucker (sumach, poplarrobinia etc.)
If you do composting there is an aid, ammonium sulphamate, that adds a bit of nitrogen and acidity to a heap to help the microbes work, it was formerely sold as Drax Rootout before the licence for this use expired.
AJH
nicknoxx wrote:

IIRC he said six *inches*..

On 26/10/2010 11:30, Roger Chapman wrote:

Get some sodium chlorate weedkiller and wine corks. Use a flat drill, about the size of a wine cork, to drill several holes into the side of the stump, sloping downwards. Spoon a couple of teaspoons of chlorate into each hole and cork. No more growth and the stump will rot after a year or so.
Peter Scott

The sale of sodium chlorate was banned over a year ago and its use forbidden in May this year.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 7th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
“I never thought I was wasted, but I probably was.”

Bl**dy hell. Life gets less and less fun with every passing year. :-(
What "interesting" chemicals haven't been banned yet that I should be stocking up with? ;-)
Tim
On 26/10/2010 13:21, Tim Downie wrote:

Sugar, citric acid, flour

In that case my local ironmonger is likely to have some :-)
--
Frank Erskine

Huge wrote:

IIRC its available but with fire retardant.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Don't think so. The fire retardent stuff has been around for years but now that seems to have been banned too.
Tim

The weeds I killed a few months ago were unaware of such a ban:-)
--
Adam