strip foundations

Paving slabs on a good sharp/soft/OPC base?

Reply to
Jim K..

Nah, poltergeist.

Reply to
Jim K..

New greenhouse going up 4m x 3m roughly. Aluminium frame with glass. any recommendations for foundations. Its on good firm ground

Reply to
fred

Mine is is of a similar size, and was two courses of single bricks on concrete (not sure of the width & depth as I didn't do it) Maybe 15cm x

20cm?). The greenhouse was screwed down onto the bricks. That may seem like overkill, but with the sort of winds we seem to be getting these days it might be a reasonable precaution.
Reply to
Jeff Layman

concrete blocks laid on sides or paving slabs

No need for 'real' foundations

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1, they're so light, and able to tolerate a little ground movement.
Reply to
tabbypurr

Not sure about that. Perhaps if the panes are fairly small, but if they're single Dutch Lights, even a slight amount of ground movement will cause the rectangular side frames to distort to parallelograms, putting stress on the glass, which then cracks. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Polytunnels are a better bet.

Reply to
harry

Indeed. I specified toughened glass panes for my greenhouse and I'm very glad I did. Twice, strange wind eddies sucked out the end roof panel (about 1500 x 300mm) and deposited - fortunately on the lawn - five metres away. Being toughened glass, the panel didn't break.

Reply to
Jeff Layman