Strimmer carburettor

I had discounted a puncture "new" diaphragm! I don't recall Adrian saying where the fuel was coming out of the carb, BICBW.

Reply to
Fredxxx

After yesterday morning, I'm bored with taking it apart, putting it back together, and finding it's no better. I think it's getting trained.

Reply to
Adrian

Because it was difficult to be certain - it was getting very wet, very quickly. The venturi was filling up, and it was dripping off the outside of the body.

Reply to
Adrian

Half a mile from Wales.

If I CBA, I'd borrow one from a neighbour, but...

Reply to
Adrian

Umm. One of the PRIMARY reasons a small 2-stroke wont run, is that te tank breather is blocked. So a vacuum builds up and no fuel glows. Or you fill it with fuel, it warms up and floods the carburettor....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd say the primary reason, if there is such a thing is a fouled plug (but even that is rare with today's 2/ oils and low oil burn. Even my old British Seagull outboard motor rarely had a fouled plug and that ran on a 2/ mix of 10:1!. That *could* suffer with a blocked or open air vent because it was a manual thing on top of the fuel cap and was easy to forget (when it would either die after a while after running a fair while or flood the back of the car / boat with petrol)).

Still unlikely in Adrian's case and certainly not 'primary'.

Again, unlikely. If it were I'd be aware of it with the 20 or so small

2/s I am involved with regularly and I can say that I've never come across a blocked tank vent. Not saying it can't happen, just that it's not the 'primary reason' a 2/ wouldn't *start* or *run*, especially straight away or one that has just been partially stripped.

Not in my 50 years of using 2/'s pretty regularly anyway.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Along with lots of other reasons in my experience. In particular the

2-stroke strimmer I had was as good as impossible to restart when hot, you had to take a rest, do something else for ten minutes and then it started without any problem.

However I now have a 4-stroke strimmer and there's no way I would ever have a 2-stroke one again. OK, it's a *cheap* 4-stroke (Ryobi) but it just starts when I want it to start, I can stop it and restart it as I need, it's *so* much better than a 2-stroke.

Reply to
cl

What if you were a tree surgeon and needed a 'top handle' saw, do they make a 4/ as light and powerful as any 2/ do you know?

Funny, that's just as our daughter uses all her 2/ tools (strimmers, saws, blowers etc) all day long . Same as my experience with my 2/ mopeds (Honda Express, NSU Quickly), scooters (Lambretta LD150 / SX150) motorcycles (MZ's) and outboard motors (British Seagull and Yamaha ... that often started first (or second) pull after being laid up all season). Even my Messerschmitt KR200 (Sachs 200cc 2/) started on the first turn of the key (forwards or backwards ). If they didn't start quickly there was probably something wrong with them. ;-(

Maybe you just had a badun there Chris?

And to be fair, most (decent sized) strimmers are used with a harness so you wouldn't be holding the dead weight with your arms. Not the same with a chainsaw or hedge trimmer though.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, I know not all 2-strokes are the same. However the difference between a Ryobi 2-stroke and a Ryobi 4-stroke was considerable. The

4-stroke is almost exactly the same weight as the same powered 2-stroke.

It's also handy not having to mix fuel in the oil.

Reply to
cl

;-)

Ok.

That's true ... and they are (therefore) less polluting etc, unless you let it go upside down possibly? [1]

I wonder if the likes of Stilh will go 4/ (from their 2/ or '4 Mix') before they go (only) electric?

Still less to go wrong with a 2/ ... no valves to drop into the cylinder and write the engine off ... mind you, you can do that just as easily by not adding the 2/ oil to the fuel on a 2/.

Cheers, T i m

[1] That's an issue with 4/ outboards. With a 2/ outboard you can pretty well put it anywhere you like. With the 4/'s you can (typically) only lay them on one side because of the 'wet sump'.
Reply to
T i m

And the new carb...

...works like a bloody dream.

First pull, a little bit of mix and throttle-stop twiddling, and it's running as sweet as new.

Reply to
Adrian

Well that's a result then.

Reply to