Stretcher? Bearer? What?

What's the official name of those 3" x 3" x 4ft or so lengths of timber (sometimes, or perhaps always, with a square rebate down the centre of one long side) which are, I think, used to separate stacked palletts?

And are they something I can buy or maybe persuade someone to give me? I need a couple.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Andy Burns

Bearer.

harryagain

Many thanks for all the replies. I've discovered that they're also known as "gluts" in Australia - presumably leading to the pleasing situation where a company with too many of them could complain of a glut of gluts - and "chocks" in this country.

That latter name was supplied by the helpful warehouse manager at my local B&Q. "I think there's some in the skip - you'll be welcome to a couple" he said, only to return, alas, empty-handed.

I think I'll try Jewson's tomorrow.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Timber guy at my local Jewson's looked at my sketch and said "Bearers" then proceeded to show me a pile and invited me to help myself. Nice of him.

Reply to
Bert Coules