stove/flue/register question : which bit gives ?

Hi,

I have opened up our fireplace which had a flame effect gas fire. I'll get it swept and inspected next week. Irrespective of whether it needs a liner, I'm struggling with how all the pieces fit together. I plan to install an old cast iron wood burning stove with 100mm diameter flue outlet in the back. It came with a locking collar that fits in.

From here I think it will look like this, from stove working back I think we have

stove ->collar ->length of flue pipe(horizontal) -> right angle bend -

length of flue pipe (vertical) ->Register plate -> pipe pretrudes

through plate (?) -> Possibly liner

Now my stove will sit on the existing hearth and while it's free standing i.e in the room, I would want it pushed back into the fireplace as close as possible .

My question is how do you fit all this together ? None of this stuff is flexible as far as I can see. Do you have the make/break point at the stove end collar, in which case how is that joint secured. Is it like guttering where there is a certain amount of give in each joint so you can bend and twist it ? I'd assumed not as these joints have to prevent smoke escaping.

I guess the best analogy I can think of is a fitted gas oven , where you have some flexible hose of the gas, you can make the joint, then slide the whole thing back. I'm trying to imagine how this doesn't all fall apart in a fairly inaccessible placeinaccessible place

Reply to
jives11

of flue pipe (vertical) ->Register plate -> pipe pretrudes

the room, I would want it pushed back into the

hi in general fix the register plate to the fireplace last, tho have it over the flue pipes so that you can slide it up into position and fix secure, seal around reg plate sides and flu pipe with fire cement. Joints use fire cement and where accesible self tapping screws. I would say flue liners *essential* for regular use otherwise all sorts of cons come into play. Remember your chimney (and fireplace) was not designed for a slow- burning, (relatively) cool flue-gas stove, quite the opposite if you think abt it.

For best heat output (aka efficiency) you want to consider having the stove projecting into room not pushed back into fireplace - stoves work like big square radiators (with fires inside) so you ideally want to get a good convection current going by having as much as poss of the metal *in* the room, not tucked under a fireplace.

hope it helps Jim

Reply to
jim