Storing Steel Drums

Actually, they are a set of steel pans which, as you know, are made from steel oil drums.

We have suddenly and unexpectedly had to take into storage a full set of steel pans and the only place big enough is the rather damp cellar/basement.

I'd like to minimise the rust damage as far as possible and wondering whether raising the temperature and therefore increasing the amount of moisture the air can absorb would make things better or worse? Would a de-humidifier make any practical difference? I've discounted the idea of spraying with wax or oil but only because of the amount of work involved in cleaning them up afterwards. They will probably only stay in store for a few months before they go to another school.

We've been offered some enormous industrial plastic bags - and I do mean enormous - and I was also wondering whether wrapping the set up in plastic and sucking out the excess air would help - or whether it would just create a micro climate which would make things worse?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I'd go for this - but don't forget to lob plenty of silica sachets into the bags first.

Reply to
Adrian

or quicklime chips

Reply to
meow2222

You can get an inhibitor on a paper that will slow rusting down. A piece was usually included with steel rules to prevent rust damage.

Reply to
Martin Brown

+1 Search for VPI paper (vapour phase inhibitor)
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Wrap them loosely in volatile corrosion inhibitor/ vapour phase inhibitor paper (VCI,VPI) and then in the polyethylene.

Use the 180m left over to line tool draws etc :-)

Smaller :-

|alt

No need to extract all the air nor do you need to use a desiccators.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Always worked for me when storing little used press tool sets.

Reply to
Nightjar

Do that and throw a big cotton bag of silica gel in (like 1kg big).

Seal the drum bag well.

The silica gel will not be cheap but it can be rejuvinated in an ordinary oven many many times.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Put them in the bags with Silica Crystals If you have B&M (discount store type shop) near you they do large bags of Silica cat litter for little money

Also include Camphor balls/tablets (as used in many moth balls) Often recommended to prevent stored tools from rusting (Google for Camphor and rust).

or

alan_m

Note: that's a very small packet, perhapsenough for 1 or 2 drums - packs of 10 available on Ebay.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks to everyone who has commented in this thread. So it's the giant plastic bags then: and something to dry the air / inhibit the rust. I think a visit to my local B&M is called for at the weekend!

Nick

Reply to
nickodell