Storing paperwork in the garage while I am away

I might be going abroad for a few years. I will rent out my house. If I store my comics and files in the detached garage will they be ok for a few years or do they go moldy? IF they might, is there precautions I can take against damp? TIA

Reply to
butterfly

Tape them into a dustbin bag inside each box.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Depending on value, I would consider packaging them up and storing in a commercial storage location.

I have a feeling that insurance cover might not be readily available if just stored in the garage.

Reply to
Rod

And this might be useful - at least as a starting point for further searches.

Reply to
Rod

Is the garage vermin proof? Sounds like a good supply of nesting material.

Reply to
Invisible Man

You could try sealing them (with a silica gel sachet) inside one of the vacuum-packing bags (the sort thats shrinks duvets down to face-flannel size).

However I don't know if the vacuum lasts for years. I doubt it.

I would advise against leaving *anything* in a rented property that you ever want to see again.

As far as insurance goes, it's only of use if the items are actually replaceable. Scanning or high-resolution document photography and electronic archiving might be an alternative if you can't store them physically.

Owain

Reply to
Owain