Storing food in tins

tin

that's where the name come from

(though more acidic contents have a layer of plastic)

Reply to
tim...

Same here -- I'm more concerned about the mess than injury.

Reply to
Adam Funk

That's some tough snot!

Reply to
Adam Funk

We were told several times in school in the 1970s that bulging tins could have botulism & should be thrown away unopened. (I've never seen one.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Started in 1792 by Jeremy Clarksons great-great-great grandfather, according to BBC 'who do you think you are'. A later relative inherited the business and bankrupted it.

Reply to
Andrew

Helped to distribute the juice from the sliced tomatoes into the bread :-)

Reply to
Andrew

No soshal media and never reported in the local papers, I suspect.

Reply to
Andrew

A little too big for the "standard" tin, e.g. baked beans or chopped tomatoes.

Reply to
Max Demian

Hehe.

And if you were hungry (and you generally were, less of an obesity problem then than now) it didn't actually matter if said cheese and tomato was now pressed into what looked like pita bread, it was still welcomed and (of course) tasted fine. ;-)

You didn't even care if you ate a jam sarnie one between the cheese and tomato and paste ones. ;-)

Tell the kids today and they wouldn't believe you ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

the plastic lids for dog food were the right size/

Reply to
charles
<snipped>

This is why you should always buy fish in a tomato sauce, that way the blood doesn't show.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

We had no fridge, just a larder with, nominally, a wire grid over the (small) outside window to keep insects out. Of course it didn't and for some reason the idea of covering food didn't occur to people. As a result, I have no recollection of getting any of the usual childhood illnesses (e.g. measles), but I do recall during the first 10 years of life a regular occurrence of vomitting. Probably due to very poor food hygiene.

Tim

===

Just the same for my family:)

Reply to
Ophelia

Glenryck pilchards.

Used to feed the cat on them when I was a kid because they were cheap.

Now not so cheap, but I eat them now with a salad or on toast.

Reply to
Andrew

when I started in building control on 1974 we had to ask for larder vents in new houses or a north facing window ....and a daylighting window in a kitchen ....sounds so old fashioned these days....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

when I started in building control on 1974 we had to ask for larder vents in new houses or a north facing window ....and a daylighting window in a kitchen ....sounds so old fashioned these days....

===

Sound just the same as my family's house.

Reply to
Ophelia

the good old days

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

the good old days

====

LOL you could say that:))

Reply to
Ophelia

The Mrs suffers from that sometimes (depending on the lid).

I'm going to get the 3D printer out tomorrow (anyway) and something like that might be handy. ;-)

I am lucky to have fairly good / strong fingers (open beer cans one handed etc) but you do get the odd tough one, although I usually also have the Leatherman on me so ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don't bring that up again.