Storage Heaters

My daughter has a storage heater in her lounge (3.4kW)

I have just replaced two of the 4 elements - (one more needed) and I am thinking that the input thermostat may be crackered as the elements are distorted and split. She claims it seems dangerously hot.

Given the cost of a thermostat (Twin sensing) and more elements - and the slight uncertainty about whether the stat is going to fix it I was thinking of suggesting a replacement.

Has anyone any recent experience of suppliers of such a beast?

Reply to
John

google shopping is showing many different 3.4kw models around the £270 - £290 mark

Reply to
Phil L

ISTR that my late father-in-law had some Dimplex heaters which were not too bad as far as storage heaters go. [Personally, I wouldn't touch

*any* storage heater with a barge-pole - unless there's no other option.]

If you *do* replace it, make sure that you get one with reasonable control over the release of stored heat. This means that it needs to have flaps which can be closed to keep the heat in when required, and also a fan connected to normal (not off-peak) mains to give a higher release rate (albeit for a shorter time!) when necessary.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Setting up a search on ebay sorted by 'nearest' can be useful as there are plenty getting replaced, and because they're heavy they usually only sell to locals. Make sure you have transport though as they're heavy. Older ones may contain asbestos.

A google will usually produce the assembly/installation manual for most models.

Owain

Reply to
Owain