Stopping condensation on underside of asbestos outhouse roof...

Hi where did you buy the sheet?

Reply to
Amanda Mdlulwa

Woolworths ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes if anyone still has asbestos roofing good luck, its almost all gone around here and why? Because it gets brittle and cracks and is a sod to get rid of. How old is this thread. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Our garage has an asbestos-cement roof. 1975 vintage I think. It was here when we bought then house in 1977.

Reply to
charles

I see that this was posted9 years ago but I need some help with regards to this. I have a joined outhouse with the neighbour wall in between and we have asbestos roofing... the house and outhouse was built in 1949. My neighbour has a tumble dryer in his and I notice the condensation in mine generally when he has it on. My tools get soaked and tidy my ele tics have gone. Will his tumble dryer be an added factor to the build up of condensation in my outhouse and what can I do ! .

Reply to
Bev

Insulate the roof, fit a false ceiling under the insulation, and make sure there is a vapour barrier above the ceiling. That will help greatly. A little bit of background heating in there to keep it above the dew point will also help.

Reply to
John Rumm

If there's a way for moist air to get from his side to your side, then maybe it would make your side damp.

Look at sealing up any gaps first of all (eg expanding foam), and putting up insulation (eg foil backed boards) so there aren't such cold surfaces for moisture to condense on.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That won't stop tools rusting & electrics shorting. Vent their drier outside.

Reply to
Animal

That would make it worse. Gaps reduce water vapour, and cold surfaces dehumidify to a small extent.

Reply to
Animal

Keep killing his tumble dryer until he gives up replacing it.

Reply to
chop

And spray the metal tools with WD 40:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Keeping the space above the dew point will greatly reduce condensation, and slow rusting of tools.

One would need to check what venting arrangement the neighbour has made. If they are venting the TD into their outhouse, then some vapour might make it through the party wall. Again insulate and vapour barrier will help.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes. The possible routes to that are:

  1. increase temp - unlikely to work when lots of water is being dumped into the space, it will more likely just delay condensation
  2. reduce water vapour - blocking ventilation & trying to stop roof condensation both do the opposite of that
  3. stop water vapour at the source, ie vent or disable the machine

presumably none

Would really need more detail to know what will work most easily.

Reply to
Animal

If the gaps are where damp air is coming in from next door (eg the roof doesn't tightly seal to the partition wall), then blocking the gaps will reduce the moisture coming through. I agree that having some fresh air ventilation will reduce moisture buildup - in an outhouse you often have that by default.

Not so much when it's the roof and it drips onto your tools.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It's all a matter of details we don't know. Eg most roofs are sloped, and drippy ones typically let some of the drips run out, but that might not be the situation. The op hasn't clarified the details

Reply to
Animal