Stopcock

Just seen the thread about the stuck isolation valve. I was discussing similar with my brother on a Zoom call this morning.

Would it be possible to install a motorised stopcock to allow the water to be turned off quickly without having to go looking for the stopcock, which could be located in an inconvenient place? My brother thought this could be a problem in a power cut but I am assuming that having issues with water and electricity at the same time would be a remote possibility (but there would need to be a manual method as well).

Reply to
Scott

No motor required

Andy Burns

Brilliant. I have sent this to my brother.

Reply to
Scott

Friend of mine had one of them. Rather amusingly, when they did have a flood, it was caused by the motorised stopcock leaking. Not letting by. Leaking in its own right.

Also, the possibility of a flood tripping an RCD doesn't seem that remote to me.....

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Like all remote possibilities, they are triggered by the need to rely on them not happening.

Reply to
Animal

You can get automatic shut-off valves which stop the supply if they detect a leak. There are different types, which can either measure water flow, use water leak detectors, placed around the home, or use ultrasonic leak detection.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

+1

I've had a Surestop for more than 30 years to isolate the pipe run to my outside taps and although they are only operated around twice a year have proved reliable*. They turn of instantly if there is enough water flow. It will not close if there is zero or just a dribble flow through the pipe at the point of flicking the switch. I close the valve and then open a tap at which point it fully closes down with a soft thud. At this point any flow is fully stopped. This means that you have to get used to not just flicking the switch when leaving for a winter holiday and assuming it will be closed for when you have a minor pipe burst. You should also turn on a tap to get it to close down.

*I did have to replace my original model because the plastic tubes to the on/off switch (remote switch model) were in full sunshine just behind a window and became brittle over a long period. The replacement has a different tube arrangement and has lasted much longer.
Reply to
alan_m

The one in my garden is well stuck so there is another under the stairs and according to Thames Water it can be turned off at the meter in the road. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff