stop using gas ? ...

The David Brown 25D (new 1956) that my farming friends bought new has 2-speed PTO. The grey fergy and the IH 414 only had

540. The David Brown is still parked in a field, gradually returning to its original form of Fe :-(
Reply to
Andrew

But they do take the trouble to wear a mask before they go out stabbing

Reply to
Andrew

Not in Aberdeen and Northumberland. The damage to HV lines is pretty bad. Not just trees blown onto power lines, but wooden poles holding up 11Kv lines snapped like matchsticks. Maybe they should have replaced those 50-YO poles earlier in their life though ?. Thank goodness BT and the energy companies are still allowed to use proper creosote, or there could have been many more snapped poles.

Reply to
Andrew

and us mugs have to use creocote

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

the exception proves the rule

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Yes, 'standard' PTO speed is 540rpm (I wonder why?) and some tractors (like my Kubota) also have 1000rpm. It is of course dependent on engine speed so my '540 rpm' PTO is actually engine rpm divided by four (or very close to that ration). I guess really big tractors may have some clever variable ratio system to provide a constant 540rpm.

Reply to
Chris Green

:-) My father had a 25D (twin seat and clutch/brake on the same side of the gearbox). Pistons seized in the bores after being left standing. Freed off by whacking the pistons tops with a lump of wood. Ran well for several more years before sale to some tree surgeons. Some DB fan would still pay money!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com wrote

We had replaced our wooden poles with the 11KV lines on them with concrete ones and had one of them blown over in our megastorm.

The new estates have everything underground.

Reply to
John Brown

How about an inverter generator? I wonder if anyone had produced such a beast that will run from a PTO. It would be a wizard thing to have.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

A quick google suggests that PTO generators produce 50Hz from pretty well any PTO RPM. I'm looking at one that quotes 435RPM.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Shouldn't really use electronics from non-sinusoidal power. No need when true sine inverters are available.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

korma

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Don't know:-) Some sort of inverter? Where are our resident experts?

500RPM would be well within the torque range of your tractor.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

In the end undergrounding is just lower maintenenance. "No new overhead

11KV" has been the mantra for over 20 years. It remains to be seen whether or not they will negotiate way leaves and underground any more existing ones.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm. I have about 1200m of 11kV running through the farm. Originally all on pre war lattice steel towers. Where it crosses the by-way there used to be a substation now replaced by an 11kV underground cable feeding a new outlet for the West side of the village. Half the towers have been replaced with timber poles and the stretch nearest the village undergrounded. Possibly on the basis the land might be developed.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

hairy lama hairy lama lama lama hairy harry

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

there are plenty of PTO generators available - some with monstrous power outputs (50kW!). Not sure how common inverter based ones are.

Reply to
John Rumm

PTO?

Reply to
SH

Power Take Off.

John Brown

Power take off. The spinny bit on the back of tractors.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+