Stones in Sand & Cement?

Hi all,

I was trying to float about 10mm of render over some breeze blocks to form a base for some paving slabs for an oil tank to sit on when I noticed I kept having to fish little stones off the surface; they were making it impossible to get a smooth finish as you can imagine. Anyway, on further investigation, these stones - which resemble sharp pieces of gravel - were already present in the bag of pre-mixed render I'd bought from BnQ (very well-known brand, too none of their own-label s**te). So WTF is going on here? I'm pretty sure these aren't lumps formed due to damp spots in the bag where the render has gone off as such lumps tend to be soft-edged and easily broken up, whereas these shattered only when thumped with a hefty club hammer and even then only formed smaller sharp stones. Are we expected to sieve this stuff nowadays or something??

Also - and on the obviously related subject, does anyone know the name of that liquid screed that's so runny it practically floats itself level? I haven't seen it for years and can't recall the product name. :/

Ta.

cd.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Self levelling compound. I used it in the early '70s. Very useful

Reply to
charles

Self-leveling compound?

Reply to
Graham.

Sharp sand render.

Unless you want an uber smooth finish its better IMHO.

I'm pretty sure these aren't lumps formed due to

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1. I usually finish up with a brush or sponge finish too, a sponge finish can look quite nice over gravel. But if you are putting slabs on top of it, why not just plonk them down on the screed and set them level with a rubber mallet, making due allowance for drainage.
Reply to
newshound

In message , Cursitor Doom writes

I expect you got the first bag off the conveyor after the plant changed over from pea shingle to sharp sand/cement mix.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Invented in Liverpool by 'Lily the Pink', I believe.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Urgh! I'd best get the fuggin' sieve out, then. :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom