Sticky Binoculars

I had same problem with Sigma. Used surgical spirit to remove coating altogether - took a while but binos now useable albeit minus rubberised coating.

Reply to
fielderash

Talcum powder

Reply to
alan

it took you a year and a half i presume?

Reply to
Gazz

Yes the rubber, or synthetic material, leaches out after a while. Things that have gone this way here are Pressure rollers on some cassette decks Shoe soles Electric shaver covers some tv fly lead covers Likewise 1970s tv camera cables.

It seems that the plasticiser eventually leaches out turning the material to a collection of dusty bits covered in gunge. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had the same problem and got it off very easily with isopropyl alcohol - rubbing alcohol. We had alcohol prep pads in the medicine cabinet for first aid, so I didn't even need a trip to the store. After a little rubbing, the surface is as good as new. Since the alcohol seemed to have a dissolving effect, I was sure to wash the binoculars with mild soap afterwards so that the alcohol wouldn't work on the surface longer than I wanted it to. I hear the rubber will continue to deteriorate and get sticky over time, so I may have to repeat the procedure in the future, but as of right now, I saved $75 replacing the binoculars! Hope this helps!

Reply to
Heather

Lots of things seem to suffer this problem. I had an old white cane that had a handle you could not let go of! As these are fairly cheap I replaced it, but it does seem certain types of rubberised material go this way. There is also a fake leather material that seems to suffer as well, so I guess its a plastic problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is there any way of preventing this happening in the first place?

Regards

Syke

Reply to
Syke

Thanks Heather, I tried the Isopopyl Alcohol on my sticky binoculars and it worked perfectly. The sticky rubber was very easily removed and they now look like black plastic binoculars with no rubber coating (and they seem fine now!).

Thanks for the excellent advice! :)

Reply to
G_Evans

That liquid has loads of uses like this. I got mine from CPC. The problem of sticky surfaces has now started to happen on the handle of my long white cane. Seems the people who make these rubbery substances cannot make one that lasts for more than a few years. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff
+1 for IPA. Very useful for all sorts of things.

I think the 'rubber' absorbs oils from the hands Brian (in this case, binoculars and your cane) and this causes it to degrade.

En el artículo , Brian-Gaff escribió:

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Steel wool and meths.

Reply to
harry

replying to Ian Jackson, Anna DC wrote: Hi Ian - did it solve the sticky walkie talkie problem because mine have done the same (kept in a plastic bag) and I have tried anti-glue solvent to no avail

Reply to
Anna DC

Looks like the send key is sticky as well then. :-) This sticky rubber on plastic things question comes up regularly of cause. I seem to recall brake fluid was the last fix suggested. I had a shaver of the electric kind go this way only a few months ago. It was on its last legs so I binned it. Rather more worryingly a blind persons white cane hand grip went likt this and the more you tried to clean it off the more rubber disappeared, so one imagines the actual chemical make up was changing, though what it is that does it, I am not sure. I even had some pressure rolers and idler wheels on a tape recorder go to sticky goo. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
maefraioli

Reply to
maefraioli

Reply to
maefraioli

Reply to
maefraioli

Ian, buy 'Sticky Stuff Remover' its in the shops! Rub hard with a soft cloth and the surface will clear. regards john fraioli.

Reply to
maefraioli

Reply to
maefraioli