Sthil ms260 rebuild

surely easier to simply replace piston and cylinder

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

'Surely', completely missing the point of this newsgroup ...?

'Surely' it would be 'easier' to get all the jobs many of us choose to do ourselves, done by someone else, or to just buy new but it's not the point.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Generally DIY is about cost where our time is free; where we gain satisfaction from a job well done.

If the most cost-effective solution is to replace both, rather than attempt a repair on a cylinder using tools and chemicals that aren't at hand, then replacing both would be most prudent.

Reply to
Fredxx

Well it's a question of cost and the cylinder is perfectly reusable, the aluminium pick up can be etched off with oven cleaner, brick acid or sulphuric acid, I prefer the first as a gel applied with a cotton bud. The honing is okay done with 150 grit wet and dry. After market pistons by meteor are nearly as good as OEM ones and a fraction of the price.

Yes I get satisfaction out of repairing things but when I was working I would replace a chainsaw as soon as it was a year old simply because of the productivity and down time. The older saw then being kept as a spare, I always carried two.

It's seldom cost effective to replace pot and piston with OEM parts as they could exceed half the price of a new saw.

Having said that I'm still running a 30 year old saw for when I do go out for a little work and all the parts are still available.

Reply to
AJH

Well done for restating the 'f****ng obvious' troll ... as only you and other left brainers would feel the need to do. ;-(

'Surely' it would be easier to get someone else to dig that hole you are in deeper for you but you seem to be doing pretty well yourself.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Unlike you I don't see a hole, nor the need to make one.

Reply to
Fredxx
<snip>

Of course you don't, you so deep in it it just looks like a skylight to you.

But please keep digging, it's soooo entertaining.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The 038AV will start again straight away, but the cuts out again the same.

It has not been stored full of fuel. I can not answer for how old crank seals are as I have not had it apart. Although I note that if stored with chain oil in it will slowly leak away. As it fitted with a long cutting bar it was only used very occasionally for felling trees that were too big for the ms260.

Reply to
Chade

Thanks for your reply. Having dug it out of the shed I see I was misremembering. It is an 028. Which puts me back to looking for a muffler.

Reply to
Chade