I have a see-through fireplace from Heatilator - the front side in the
living room, the other in the bedroom. After only 15-20 minutes the back
side gets extremely hot while the front side is not all that hot. This extra
heat is so bad that it causes the black (hard) plastic directly above the
fireplace opening (still part of the Heatilator) to emit a smell like
plastic burning. It's so disagreeable that we have to turn the fireplace
off. It's also probably a good idea for safety.
It seems that the heat from the gas (propane) log fireplace is primarily
focused on the back upper wall of the fireplace - thus causing the
overheating. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is, and the fix?