Stereo (OT)

I doubt that there isa sound system out there that can properly reproduce the sound of a cannon. Remember being in Bristol Docks for some tall ships/sailing event, they fired a proper cannon. I was about 1/2 a mile away and still felt the blast wave, loudest single sound I've ever heard.

Mind you the flash/bang fireworks at the climax of the village firework show last weekend were pretty loud. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Loudest for me must have been driving past the local aerodrome when a Harrier was doing a vertical take off a few yards the other side of the fence.

Reply to
Bob Eager

For me: the Red Arrows predecessors flying Lightnings when all 9 took off vertically together at Farnborough. We were very close to the lift off point on the runway.

Reply to
charles

I never flet the ground move from a jet or the whack in the chest that that cannon or fireworks had. The fast jets do come quite low over us particularly if comeing down the valley as we are a white house on a bit of a headland, I'm sure they use us as a way point from coming over the top from Teesdale...

Half a dozen chinooks at less than 100' and about 400yds away really made the windows rattle...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

the Buncefield explosion (40 miles away) made my windows rattle.

Reply to
charles

We're only 28 miles away, but it was enough to wake us up. I worked out from the noise it was fairly distant, and the lack of sirens let me go back to sleep.

On aircraft - I was at Farnborough once when they parked a Tornado at one end of the runway, brakes on, afterburners lit.

Then sent three more on a long approach from the opposite direction. They went along the runway at 500ft / kts or so under full power.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I was thinking about that, but it was a rumble rather than a loud noise to us 30 odd miles away.

I certainly remember the noise of aircraft near take-off point at Prestwick - when the main road used to be held up level-crossing-style for aircraft. (I *thought* I remembered a VC10 but that looks unlikely given the year.)

Reply to
polygonum

they first flew in 1962. The test airfield was only a couple of miles from here, so we used to see them quite regularly.

Reply to
charles

Yes - which makes it unlikely I saw/heard one at Prestwick before the end of October 1962 - not impossible, to be sure. But if not a VC10, I do not know.

Reply to
polygonum

Went past it last night, it was ver' ver' quiet

Reply to
geoff

Three of my wife's cousins heard the Buncefield bang. They each had houses a few hundred yards away!

Reply to
Bob Eager

obligatory uk.d-i-y response: switch to linux.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I recall that road. I remember being in my dad's car waiting at the level crossing and being really disappointed the aircraft were already airborne and fairly high (it seemed to me) by the time they reached the crossing. Didn't seem any point in waiting there...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, "Dave Liquorice" writ:

My Son, who works for NASA, managed to get us into the VIP area for a shuttle launch just over 3 miles from the pad. All I can say is that the ground really did move and the noise was truly awe inspiring. Never heard anything so loud before or since considering the distance.

Reply to
Percy

Once upon a windy night when my Dad was ATC there he rode his scooter onto that runway... and was blown out of the side.

They never look safe to me!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That was why I was living in the area - father in RAF ATC.

Reply to
polygonum

John Williamson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Akai - there is a name from the past - along with many others.

Reply to
DerbyBorn