Stanley Hand Drill 5803

I have picked up a Stanley hand drill 5803 but the pieces inside the chuck assembly that grip the drill bit are all loose. Possibly one or more of the springs have snapped through age. The chuck is solid enough to prevent any removal of the gripping pieces, yet they must have been inserted somehow? I hope someone can tell us how to either remove the gripping pieces inside the assembly or where I might get another chuck assembly please. The action and the condition otherwise are great, worth fixing,

Made in england

Reply to
googlenospam

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk contains these words:

As far as I remember they just unscrew.

help.

Reply to
Guy King

Sometimes they're just rusted together, a bit of WD40 and working it back and forth (possibly with a bit of a tap) will free it up.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Thanks Everyone. The chuck comes off OK but the three jaws are jumbled up insode and I think the collar and spring in the diagram

are missing. How anyone assembles these things is beyond me, a ship in a bottle must be easier. Chuck is at toolmix for =A37.98 incl p&p, better than the equivalent drill for =A330

Reply to
googlenospam

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk writes

Nope, although they do take an amount of patience. The knurled main body of the chuck separates from the plate that screws onto the spindle, as all the best manuals say, re-assembly is the reverse of disassembly (as long as you're an octopus)

Reply to
Clint Sharp