Crossing live and neutral wires ?

I've bought a 2 pin connector with the intention of making up an extension for my lawnmower, however now that I look at the connector I realise that it is not keyed (ie there is nothing to make sure that you connect the 2 parts the right way) Although I've marked the 2 halves to try and ensure that live is always connected to live what will happen if I get it wrong ? Will the RCD trip, the mower motor go backwards, loud noises and lots of smoke etc???

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

"Wrong" is meaningless in this context. It will work the same either way.

Reply to
Newshound

No, the mower will just go as normal, it doesn't matter which way they are connected.

Reply to
Phil L

No it won't. If you connect it the wrong way it will put the grass back down

Reply to
mike

So, if I wire my portable planer the wrong way, it will add thin bits of wood. Genius! Just what I need!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just don't try it with a macerator

Reply to
Phil L

If it's double insulated, it doesn't care. The distinction between L & N (for a single phase system) is only based on their relative connections to an earth. No earth, no remaining distinction.

Reply to
dingbat

I wish all my power tools had an "undo" button.

Reply to
LSR