Stairs Into Kitchen - 2 sets of stairs ?

Hi All

I live in a house which has been converted from 2 smaller cottages. There are 2 staircases in the house, at opposite ends (east and west wing - hahaha).

All rooms at first floor level have windows which have door like openings large enough for an adult to easily exit through. (with child safe opening restrictors fitted !)

The staircase at the west wing opens onto a hallway leading directly to the front door, with doorways off to a living room (no door exit) and a lounge - the lounge also has a doorway to the outside as well as connecting through into the rest of the house. There is a first room opening onto this staircase which has been opened up to the loft area, with a small upper "gallery" area created with a sunken bed.

The staircase on the east wing opens via a door into a small kitchen with door to the outside, and a door larger room with door to the outside.

The west and east staircases are connected at first floor level by a corridor which runs the length of the house.

We intend to combine the small and large rooms on the east side into one large kitchen.

My question is - Do we need a door at ground floor level into the stairs in the converted (east wing) kitchen? I am hoping that the alternative exit route from the first floor means that we can open this area up.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy

What's with the ha ha?

Bloody hell there is a lot of indegestible fat on this thread!

No.

But why now sketch what you have and what you want and scan it to a website or picture storage group? If you don't have one, you can open or join a MSN group for such facilities and get a good deal of open space free from them.

Post a link and ask the advice again. It will be worth the effort.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I would advise one whether required or not; cooking smells tend to rise, and you may get false triggering of the upstairs smoke detectors. It might be more practical to fit the door on the upstairs corridor rather than at the foot of the stairs in the kitchen.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The ha ha was a light hearted joke at my own expense, I thought west and east wing was a bit pretencious - a sort of joke we have here - oh well, humor not appreciated.

As for fat, I thought the info I gave may be pertinent, I don't know therefore also I don't know what is relevant.

Weatherlawyer, I appear to have upset you the point of swearing, for which I am sorry, I will know to think twice beore posting again, I didn't expect this unkindness so I clearly have judged things wrong.

Sorry all

Reply to
Andy