Stainless steel

Any ideas please for producing a "brushed" finish on a small flat piece of stainless steel? I was thinking of perhaps a rotary wire brush (radial rather than cup) or a coarse flap wheel. Obv a hand wire brush would have very little effect.

All it's for is a small piece of S/S to glue on the wall in the kitchen to stop the lid mechanism of the (S/S) pedal bin from digging into the plaster as it drifts when pedalled :-)

TIA -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Fine Wet or Dry used wet with some soap?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I once worked (holiday job) in a factory where we did just this to finish chemical process tanks. A wire brush was the normal way, or a cotton mop with grinding paste, but you will need to experiment a bit to get the right finish. I seem to remember that bits of wire would fly off the brush as it wore, and if you're lucky these end up in your clothes and hair. If you're unlucky, you can easily get one in the eye, which is not pleasant and they tend to stick in, so goggles or a shield are very much advised!

Reply to
GMM

Reminds me - a few years ago, I was using a dremel-like tool with brass wire brush to clean up some.. thing. Felt little pinpricks in my face and realised it was the brass wires flying out of the cheapo wire brush. TG I was wearing goggles but even so, better buy quality brushes for such things.

Reply to
dave

you can get a nice effect using an eraser tipped pencil in a drill ..get lots of sworls..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

stainless steel?

coarse flap wheel.

Sandpaper, rubbed carefully by hand in a straight line. Give it a try on the back, and see what you like.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Fine linisher or belt sander.

Reply to
F Murtz

Dip it in a concentrated solution of ferric chloride (but keep the solution off everything else).

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Tooth paste or jeweller's rouge.