Split rail PS

Yes - quoted at 1/10th of a 'normal' type.

Quite - although since they are single hole fixing with a kit usually provided you'd have to do something very silly to achieve that.

Snag is the smallest toroidal I could find is way over sized for this application. Are there any 6VA or so trannies made with low external field?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Yes but I've seen it done more then the once but not implying of course!..

RS components do very small ones from 1.50 VA upwards by Nuvotem not that cheap of course!..

Reply to
tony sayer

It is *so* tempting to use a ring crimp on that nice big mounting bolt though!

Reply to
The Other Mike

Bits arrived from CPC today so fitted and hum gone. Noise measured on the output is about 4mV peak to peak, output being standard domestic line level.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

So thats 4 mv reference to what -10 dBm?..

Reply to
tony sayer

On the same scope, the output shows about 2v peak to peak. Which would suggest the noise is some 54dB down. But I'm sure there is a more sanitary way to measure such devices.

However, at a high listening level, it sounds pretty good noise wise when you lift the pickup.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Yes a wideband audio meter. I'd have thought that would be a bit better than that Dave, what's in-between the input device and the output?..

:)....

Reply to
tony sayer

yes it should be: with a shielded cartridge plugged in the theoretical max SNR of a moving magnet cartridge amp with RIAA eq is around 60-70dB.

60dB is easy. 65dB is not hard., but 70-dB is getting towards 'hand selected devices' and nitrogen cooling :-=) THats with reference to a standard 2mV or so RMS input.,
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher