Special Paint for Units ?

I want to paint a free standing bookcase and was wondering whether I should use a straight forward satin finish or whether there is a more suitable alternative, For instance I believe a different type of paint is available for improving old pine kitchen units etc and would like to know what the differences are and any advantages

Manyt thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Saunders

I'd stick to oil based paints. Undercoat till you can't see the base, rub down, and a thin coat of gloss. Most satin now seems to be the "quick dry" variety i.e. water based and IMO totally unsuitable for furniture.

Reply to
stuart noble

I'd go with a decent trade oil-based eggshell (satin is, I believe, eggshell but with a slightly higher lustre).

Depending upon the existing surface, might require priming, but one advantage of eggshell is that it doesn't require undercoating.

For a really good flat finish, lay on with a mini-gloss roller, and brush out very lightly with a good quality paint brush (I'm told that the expensive micro-fibre type brushes are _not_ good with oil based paints, though they reign supreme with water-based).

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS