Spanners

There are preferred sizes defined in the standards but they are not mandatory, so sometimes a smaller head is used, saving weight or reducing assembly time or improving access.

Reply to
The Other Mike

You mean one with springs? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. Over-rated, they are.

(Mine's on parabolics, so the ride is merely abysmal, rather than non- existant)

Reply to
Adrian

i think a 16mm spanner is my least used size of a full set i have from 4.5mm to 8mm in .5mm increments, then from 10mm to 19mm in 1mm increments, i have at least 2 of 10, 13, 17 and 19mm spanners as they are the most likely to be needed on a nut and bolt at the same time. i then have 1 each of 22, 24, 26, 27, 30, 34 and 36mm spanners,

The larger sizes are common on the heavy campervans i once owned, they were the reason i have a few odd sockets like a 27mm thin wall extra deep reach one for injectors, a 3/4" drive 19mm socket used for the wheel nuts on a VW LT (1/2 inch drive sockets either split or snapped the breaker bars square off when trying to undo them) And the 63mm socket used on the rear wheel bearing nuts of an iveco daily, plus a few hex key sockets in the 20mm range, and an oddly bent short shaft

14mm spanner for the awkward nut on iveco injector pumps.

That's all small fry compared to the spanners and sockets used daily at the commercial garage is did my YTS years at, including a torque wrench with 2 handles set at 60 degrees or so, so that 2 fitters could push and pull on it together to get the thing to click at the set torque.

Reply to
Gazz

I find regular use for my 2BA spanners.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Ages ago on a whim I bought a Kamaza socket set (1/4 and 3/8" drive) which has metric, unified and BA sizes. It was on offer in my local motor factor. One of my best buys ever.

What I'd love to find is a set of deep BA 1/4" drive sockets. 0-8.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)