Source for vanity basin (no cabinet) ?

following the adventures with the waste, with tiresome predictability, fixing one problem has caused another, and with the actual basin (plastic on MDF) being 14 years old, there's a couple of hairline cracks weeping.

Trying to google for cabinetless basins just returns loads of results with cabinets ...

Does anyone know of source that might have just the sink-top bit to drop in as a replacement onto the existing cabinet ?

Already the challenge appears to be for a 2-tap variety. Every single picture is showing just 1.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A search for "semi recessed basin two taps" brings up a few options or, if it sits on top of the unity try a similar search using "counter top basin"

Victorianplumbing seems to have a number of options for you.

Reply to
Bev

Not being someone who has invested many many years of my life into the studying required to be a UK plumber these days, the terminology can be confusing. Some counter tops will drop on top of a cabinet. But some are intended to sit on a flat surface.

That was in the first page of results ....

I've scrolled though 2,000 or so pictures now on Google ... nothing remotely similar. Well, not in the UK (no, I don't know why either).

Looks like I'll have to upgrade to a single tap regardless. And once I'm resigned to that, who cares if it's plastic, ceramic, or depleted uranium.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Oh, and the one I'm replacing is 600x520, whereas the trend is now nothing deeper than 460mm :(

This is how entire bathroom refits happen ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The other issue is the size and shape of the hole. On mine I think a new top will be needed cut to size if it starts to crack. I suppose you might be able to fix the cracks short term, but there will be more if that is the way things are going. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Yes what is all this single tap crap about. Seems to be a lot of nonsense to me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Ceramic lasts well, plastic not so well. You've also got the option to look at reclaim places & ebay, so no need for single tap if you don't want.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Have you tried Ikea?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Well, via their website ... and it's a no.

Anyway, thanks to a flash of genius, I may have repaired the original for another 15 years of life. Currently undergoing a (literal !) soak test. If it's still dry come Monday, I'll declare it fixed.

Even if not, it'll limp on while I use time to locate the best fit replacement.

This is one of those jobs that could lead to the entire house being remodelled if I'm not careful. Not that I don't want to do it, or can't do it, but need to stabilise income first :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk