Source for tacky rubber sheeting

I'm about to make a ski vice. Skis aren't easy to get a grip on while still giving unobstructed access to the edges and base. A common method is to place the skis on blocks topped with some sort of rubber matting that's incredibly tacky. You just invert the ski and put the upper (glossy) surface of the ski on the tacky rubber and it stays put as if by magic.

Any suggestions as to what this ultra-tacky rubber matting is called and where I can get it? I've tried some of that rubber mesh intended for use on car dashboards (similar to the stuff used to stop rugs slipping on polished floors) and it didn't work anywhere near as well as the "real" stuff.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

ISTR pound shops etc sell a web-like rubbery sheet for various uses. Lining drawers, using in the car, that kind of thing.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I forget the name, but it used to be sold as non-slip matting for use on boat tables and as a washable clean room entry mat. It also made excellent tyres for an egg racing machine. To the best of my knowledge it is a plastic, rather than rubber, product.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It's sold as 'non-slip' or 'anti-slip' mat for woodworking; try Googling to see if any of the various mats suit your purposes. I believe it was recommended by Norm of New Yankee Workshop fame.

If you want to try any of the materials sold for tool drawer bottoms try a camping mat from Lidl - it might not work but it's cheaper than other sources.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

TackMats will probably do you: cut up, should last for ages:

used also to be those rubber rollers for cleaning vinyl records that were so tacky they would roll slowly down a window pane on their own.

Then there's:

tennis people like tacky rubber.

Then there's the trusty standby double sided tape.

Or you could mount a lot of rubber suckers on a plank, Or even get some of those suckers for holding glass.

Spamlet

Yup I bought one of those it certainly does stop things sliding around. They used to be in the £1 bins at Focus - though I don't know if that means they were stopping selling them.

Reply to
pete

Hydrophillic rubber

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Dycem?

Reply to
newshound

That's the name I was trying to recall.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

newshound :

I've Googled that and it looks like the right stuff. I'll get some, thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

When I saw the Subject, I thought you might be after material to make a rubber suit for erotic purposes or something...!

Reply to
Bob Eager