Source for aluminium 'heat sink' cases - U section

I'm trying to source a 'heat sink case' for an electronics project. I want a U section aluminium extrusion, preferably with fins or at least some ribbing which will hold a PCB 220mm x 123 mm with some spare space. The devices needing to be fixed to the heatsink/case are down the two long sides of the PCB. Depth required is around 40mm.

I can find quite a few tubular extruded cases which might be the right size but I need U section to allow me access to connect up etc. in situ. (That's a U with one 'wide' side open)

Can anyone suggest where I might find something like this, it's just a one off.

Reply to
tinnews

I have usually found it easier to do such things with a plain case with heatsink stuff bolted to it.

The trouble is that there are so many specially made things for mass production - tooling an extrusion is not expensive in 1000 up quantities

- but very little for 'home consumption'

What is the environment and worst case heat dissipation?

A possible solution may be to hit a car scrapyard of you can find one and see if there is a suitable bit of engine electronics whose case you can pirate.

Another possibility its a Mini IX computer case. Thsee may come with fans and you can certainly get them, with plemty of ventilation to take board mounted heatsinks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

DigiKey have U section ally cases - MegaSquirt uses one. Not finned, though. Arm and a leg. You have tried Ebay? Usually called project boxes on there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you might be best looking for a standard box, U shape top and bottom with front and back panels. Then replace the back panel with a chunk of marston heatsink extrusion. see farnell for details

size 60DN is getting near to what you want.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

That was my thought as well. Eddystone box and suitable sized bit of cheap heat sink extrusion bolted on with thermal compound in the gap. That's always assuming that the box just by itself won't sink enough heat...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds like you need the case from an old inverter or car audio amplifier. Look for faulty ones on ebay?

Reply to
AlanD

You have it in one, it's for an inverter (kit coming from China). I had a broken 1kW inverter that might have been suitable but I threw it away.

That's a possibility, thanks.

Reply to
tinnews

Buy a bit of 5 bar chequerplate and fold it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright