Source for a very short length of stainless wire?

Any suggestions please as to where I could get ecomically just 300mm or so of stainless steel wire - 0.1mm or thereabouts? It's only to (attempt to) restring a stainless steel egg slicer, the wire in which has just been snapped by the senior partner, so its definitely not worth my while buying a reel. I just felt it was a shame to send an immaculate stainless steel body to recycling.

Reply to
neverwas

HI Can't comment on the price - but the aptly-named

does short lengths of all sorts of wire ...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I'm sure I have some that I got to make up some devon spinning mounts ( fishing stuff) .If you e-mail me ( amend the e-mail addy) your details I'll send you some and you can try that .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

That wasn't s'posed to show my e-mail but no matter ..

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Hi, Friendly dentist--used for making braces... Jewellery maker...they get it from dental supply too. D

Reply to
gilli

Not sure, but I think a guitar string might do.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yes thanks. But so far as I could see the minimum I'd face is £10.36 (with P&P) for 50g of 0.1mm. That's roughly twice the price of a new slicer - albeit I could then probably restring it every time it's used for the rest of my natural :)

I suppose I shouldn't ask if the rest would be strong enough to deal, in conjunction with a couple of trees on either side of the road, with the local youfs riding unselected scooters at midnight :))

Reply to
neverwas

You can get coils here

's the same stuff I can send you a sample of as I said . Postage is about £1-2 from McHardys

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Would nichrome make a substitute, I still have some donated by a denizen of this group, about 1/32" and still shiny. It looks identical to the wire in my cheese board.

It's useful stuff, I use it to stitch cerablanket insulation inside simple kilns.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Good call Cic.

Go into any music shop and ask for a single electric guitar string. They come in the following sizes:

Ask for an "eight top E-string" this will be 0.008" diameter (0.2mm) and will cost a pound or so.

Alternatively, you can get 0.009, 0.010, 0.011, 0.012, 0.013, etc

Buy online here:

(note that on this website, they have got their numbers wrong by a factor of 10, so you would need to select select gauge "0.08" - however the postage & packing is only £1.25 and they are a good reliable company)

Reply to
Dave Osborne

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Violin e string would be a more classical solution, but your egg may be from a rock chick. :) Dave

Reply to
gbr1918

The cost of a violin string might be too much to shell out for !!!

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

In message , Usenet Nutter writes

Way over your head, that one, wasn't it

Reply to
geoff

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

but IIRC they aren't stainless are they? usually some composite structure for best "tone" and brightness etc?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Except it won't be stainless.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

referee!

JimK

Reply to
JimK

No it wasn't actually .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Cheesewire?

Obviously food grade. And quite strong. And OK price (I think). Main problem appears to be postage! Maybe you can think of a possible local supplier such as a catering equipment shop.

Reply to
Rod

In message , jkn writes

Find someone who has just replaced the stays on a boat. I use the old stays as a source of all sorts of clips etc.

Reply to
Bill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "neverwas" saying something like:

A model shop.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon